eight: heart to hearts

PRIYA PATTERSON

"We're here." Mathis announced, breaking me out of my thoughts. My mind was so filled with everything Egypt had said that I totally blanked out and didn't realized we had made it.

"Oh, so sorry." I said gathering my things.

"No worries, is everything okay?"

"Everything is fine." I nodded.

"Are you sure? You've had a blank stare on your face and have been looking out that window since we dropped your friend home."

"Just a lot on my mind... in relation to the restaurant and everything," I faked a laughed. "I'll be fine."

"Ah. I see. Try your best to get some rest."

"Will do. Thanks again, Mathis. Have a good night."

"You as well, Ms. Priya." He tipped his hat as I got out of the car.

I pushed open the front door of my home and to my surprise it smelt of nothing but cleaning products. Turning my nose up, I stepped out of my shoes and placed my purse onto the front table before shutting the door quietly so I could look around.

The sound of an evident vacuum cleaner came from the living area, which is the direction I chose to go in. As I turned the corner, there he was; vacuuming the carpet in the middle of the living room.

I leaned against the wall and crossed my arms, with a smirk on my face. "You must be sick." I said, catching him off guard. Pierre looked up as if he had seen a ghost.

"When'd you get in?"

"Just a few seconds ago," I smiled then pointed at the vacuum. "It's different to see you on the other end of that thing."

"Yeah well it took me a good 15 minutes trying to figure it out. I never knew a vacuum came with so many parts."

"It's the best of the best." I shrugged, "a wedding gift from your mother, of course."

"Why am I not surprised?" he switched the vacuum off and proceeded to dusting off his hands against his shorts. "How was your day today?" he asked while making his way over to where I stood.

"It was pretty good, I can't complain." He leaned down and placed a kiss on my cheek before kissing my lips a few times. "How was yours?" I asked, once we pulled apart.

"Not as eventful. Just had a quick meeting, went to the warehouse to just check on things then came home to do some organizing and cleaning. I thought about possibly ordering something for us, but I didn't know what you'd be in the mood for."

"Oh no worries, I can whip something up. What do you want to eat?"

"Apart from you..." he winked, "I'm honestly down for us just ordering a box of Pizza and chill for the night. I know you're probably tired."

"I'm never too tired to cook, babe." I rubbed his shoulder, "but I don't mind a box of Pizza, either."

"I'll make the call while you change?"

"Sounds good to me."

I covered my mouth quickly as I yawned then made my way up the stairs to our bedroom. I stepped into the bathroom immediately and turned on the water, before stripping out of my clothes.

I stood in front of my mirror and removed my makeup, just before the steam fogged up the mirrors. Pulling my braids back into a ponytail; I made my way into the shower, allowing the hot waters to roll down my body. I instantly felt relaxed and at ease after being out all day.