nineteen: oh brother

PRIYA PATTERSON

"I'd love to say yes right now..." he smirked, rubbing my cheek with the pad of his thumb. "But... I this isn't you. You're clearly hurting and looking for a sense of relief but no, Priya." I held my head down but it raised it by my chin. "You've gotta allow yourself to hurt, that is the only way you will be able to figure out how to heal." He pecked my cheek ever so softly, then pulled me in for a hug. "Good night Priya." He whispered.

Staring out my mother's bedroom window; I felt like a complete wreck, I felt like I had lost all morale for myself over such a stupid situation. Don't get me wrong; Rohan was an amazing person, he deserved all the best and more and yes, the closer we got was the more attractive he became in my eyes. But I couldn't believe he had to be the one to draw the line, he had to reject me. As if I wasn't a married woman... as if I didn't have respect for myself. C'mon Priya... what in the world were you th-.

"I hope you aren't in here overthinking anything."

Startled, I turned to see Rohan standing in the doorframe, his eyes puffy from just waking up. "How'd you know?" I laughed.

"I had a feeling. The closer we seem to get is the more I figure out the way you move." Rohan walked over to the bed and climbed in next to me, while I turned over onto my side to look at him. "But that is exactly what I don't want you to do. what happened last night wasn't a bad thing, nor was it reckless on your part. I was just trying to show you; that you aren't the one at fault here."

"I appreciate that, it really changed my perspective on a lot."

"Truly happy to help. I promise not to talk about it going further. What happened in the past, stays in the past." I held up my pinky finger. "What's that for?'

"A pinky promise?"

"... are you being serious?"

"Dead ass, everyone knows that pinky promises are more serious than taking an oath in court."

"A big man like me... doing a pinky promise?"

"Oh, come on Rohan."

"Fine, but if this gets out of this room. It's me and you." he quickly wrapped his pinky around mine and I smiled. "The things a pretty face can make men do, is crazy." I popped my imaginary collar, causing him to chuckle. "I'm going to head out now... gotta go get my kids for the day."

"Aw, okay daddy..."

"Save that... for when the papers go through."

I shook my head, "whatever. You knew what I mean."

"I did, but just know I am not opposed to the idea of you calling me that for real. Just on different terms of course."

"Of course. I know you respect my marriage."

"Nah, I respect you and I know you got certain morals and standards for yourself. Sometimes those get clouded by the pain, but at the end of the day; you know who you are."

"Mhmm." I hummed, lowly. Rohan stayed preaching nothing but facts. "Thank you for that wake-up call once again."

"It wasn't nothing." He leaned over and wrapped his arms around my body to hug me. "Text me and don't forget that I'm here if you need someone to talk to."

"I won't." he kissed my forehead then climbed out of the bed. "Talk to you soon." I propped up on my elbow to watch him leave.

"Talk to you soon."

After Rohan had left, I took a bit of a well-deserved nap being as I hadn't really slept much before. Him telling me not to overthink was somewhat of the validation I needed. I spoke to Pierre before, just to let him know I was alive and just needed a moment; I figured that him hearing my voice would be good enough to get him to stop blowing up my phone. After I hung up; I finally dozed off.