twenty-three: not even blood

PRIYA PATTERSON

"There we go..." my nurse finished fluffing my last pillow that laid beneath my lower back after my brief rush of soreness that overtook my body. I knew it was due to the fact that I had been laid up here for what felt like forever, but the recovery process just seemed to be so far away. Every single day, I woke up in nothing but discomfort and pain. As much as I was trying to push through it was much harder than I would've liked. With every step that I knew I should be taking I feared hurting the baby which was my main focus as of right now.

To think that this whole time I was pregnant, was crazy to me... but then again, it all made so much sense. A simple slip-up and here we are. I was torn in between feeling excited and feeling disappointed. This was something I had always wanted but not under terms like these... Now, that I had found out about Alexis and Pierre, I no longer had this vision for us. I wanted that family dynamic, without a doubt; but never did I want it with someone that I didn't feel as though I could trust, with someone that left me heart broken and devastated, with someone that broke our vows.

I was hurt when I initially found out, but after spending weeks of just sitting here, staring at the hospital walls or watching old Judge Mathis reruns; I was able to internalize it all. It didn't help that Pierre was here playing the perfect husband, either. If anything, it made it worse because behind it all; I knew more than he thought and what sucked about it was the fact that I knew he had the ability to be better.

Unfortunately for him, it was all too late.

I wasn't against the thought of a second chance, but I was indeed against the thought of a second chance with him. Not only was he the best liar and worst backstabber, being with Pierre not put my life at risk along with my child.

That night with Pharrell was everything a woman feared. I was strong but when put in a situation like that, all my strength was thrown out the window. Being trapped, beaten and given and ultimatum were things I had never imagined being involved in. To watch someone that I looked at as a brother, changed my whole perspective on people completely. I was at the point where I didn't even trust Tahira, someone that I viewed as my best and only friend. Matter of fact, I didn't even know how I could trust Rohan after this.

Yes, he was a good man and yes, I would be testifying to get him out. But a future with him... was a definite no. I was wiping my hands clean with all of these people forever.

The situation broke me down, but it also made me so much more stronger than I was before. I may not be all the way there physically but emotionally; I was ready to go, and I made sure that no one knew. I had plans on ruining Pierre before, for what he did to me then my emotions changed my mind. I thought it would be better to just up... and leave but clearly karma wanted me to fulfill what I was capable of.

Pharrell thought for a moment he really pulled one over on me, but if anything, he only allowed me to refuel and get ready to handle what I was set out to do. I evaluated this situation as a whole and realized that I wasn't put into this family to be Pierre's trophy wife.

I was put into his life to do something better, than was... to dethrone him and his family at large. I was about to show them that women were much more than a couple hours a night in a hotel room, but a force not to be reckoned with. Like I said before, I was going to show them who the real pimp was.

This whole thing was a minor set back for a major comeback.

"Are you okay?" I snapped out of my thoughts and looked over at Pierre who leaned back in his seat, peering over at me.

"Yeah." I nodded, "I'm good."

"You sure? You've been in deep thought, a lot as of lately."

"I'm sure." I flashed him a small smile. "I'm just daydreaming... that's all."