twenty-nine: the one to watch out for

ROHAN MILLS

"So, you know where she is?" my brother asked while passing me the blunt.

"100%."

"How?"

"Priya has spoken about it before." I said before taking a pull, "she may not have noticed but I do pay attention. If Pierre did however, he wouldn't be searching far and wide for her. As her husband, he should've known."

"Damn, you really feeling this girl, huh?"

I shrugged, then took another pull and handed it back over to him. "I was, but I knew better. Priya would never be with a man like me. I wouldn't expect her to either."

"Why do you say that?"

"I just know, if Priya is going to leave Pierre she is going to either kill him or wipe her hands clean. Meaning, she would want to cut off ties with any and everything that had to do with him."

"Including you."

"Including me." I nodded, internalizing everything.

"Damn," he let out followed by a smooth chuckle. "I don't know how you do it. Forever putting your happiness on the lines for others."

"I'm just cut from a different cloth." I shrugged, "but Priya deserves this happiness so I'm good, either way."

"So, you're telling me that this woman dipped with Pierre's money... and you aren't worried at all about what's about to happen to her?"

I shook my heard and ran my tongue over the bottom of my lip. "Once again, I pay attention to Priya. On paper Pierre may seem dangerous... but I know, Priya is the one to watch out for."

PRIYA PATTERSON

"We're here." Our driver announced while pulling up in front of the building we were staying in. Egypt patted my thigh, being as my sunglasses were blocking my eyes; I'm sure he assumed that I was still asleep.

I rose my head from where it lay on the window and undid my seatbelt, thanking the driver before grabbing my purse and hopping out. The cramping feeling that I was told to expect was pretty mild, but the idea of it all was the most painful.

I wanted nothing more than to just get upstairs and head into a well-needed shower. I had spent the whole night in the hospital and to tell you the truth, the business had taken my mind off of it all. The nurses were sweet, and Egypt was so very supportive. They had a counsellor as well as a mom from the NICU team come up and talk to me about their experiences going through the same exact thing. Everyone was comforting but now that I knew I was about to be up there, alone with my thoughts; it all began to sink in.

"I left here pregnant." I whispered to myself as the doorman, tipped his hat while opening the front door for us to enter.

"What was that?" Egypt said from behind, hurrying to my side to open the second door with his badge.

"Nothing." I simply answered, "just kind of hungry."

"Oh, you want me to cook something?"

"No, not today." I looked up at him. "I don't want to be a nag, but if it isn't too much do you mind possibly grabbing us some Chick-Fil-A?"

"How about I do Uber Eats?"

"It's honestly just down the street, it would be a waste."

"Hmm and that right there is how the rich stay rich." He smirked, "you sure you don't want me to go up there with you?"

"I'm positive." I answered, knowing deep down it wasn't true. "Oh, and also, do you think you could grab those lemonades from that spot we went to the other night?"