VII || The Problem

As soon as Roen said the name, the mere mentioning of it radiates so much power and quakes the academy that Lena falls, for the second time, to the ground.

It takes her a few moments to realise it's not, in fact, the name — though it seemed so ominous when Roen said it — because the entire academy is shaking. She looks to Roen, thinking this might be his illusion, but he, too, grips the side of a table, gritting his teeth.

"He's getting agitated."

"Please don't tell me that's the S class making this academy shake," Lena mutters, silently praying.

Neesha manages a light smile through her creased brows. "No. He isn't like that."

"Then who is it getting so agitated, and why? Why is he doing this?"

Roen's face darkens, and for once, Lena finds him less attractive. "He isn't satisfied with Arcane Academy."

"Huh?"

Back to square one — Lena doesn't understand a thing. And if that guy isn't satisfied with Arcane Academy, then why is he here? People are weird.

"Um." Lena hesitates. "Does he do this often?"

"No," Roen admits. "But —"

"Roen!" Neesha shouts after him, but it's too late — he's gone along with a section of the class, shifting in the earth itself. The ground breaks apart and, with Roen on it, ascends far above. The entire room shakes, and more spaces divide, cracking here and there and forming fissures across the walls, the grounds, even the ceiling.

Some structures divide and fall, while others rise or maintain. The ceiling is now open and separated, revealing blue skies overhead; the walls are now open up, dropping onto the courtyard grounds as the crumble; and the floor itself is cracked, some students standing on each platform. Most students find their own platform lowering — at least better than plummeting fast — including Lena's, but they don't dare make a move. Who knows when will the next division occur.

The others who aren't so lucky, like Roen, has risen up into the unknown. What used to be the class floor has now broken into pieces, some high above while most of the others are sinking lower and lower.

Just when Lena thinks they'll hit the ground, the platform she's standing on passes through the ground harmlessly almost as if it's part of it, and they go underground.

She tries to shout over to the other students, but they don't hear her — she hardly hears herself over the whistling of wind at their fast descending speed. What's going on?

Soon, darkness envelopes her surroundings, and she can see no more, hear no more, and feel no more as she slips into endless murkiness.

*****

The first thing she notices is the hard, rocky ground.

Lena forces her eyes open, and find the world in distortion. Her head heavy, she peels herself from the kissing the ground, sitting upright to better her dizziness.

After a few good minutes, her head starts to work, forming the first questions in her head: What happened? Where is she? Where is everyone else?

She finds herself against earth, and on it, too. All around her, it seems like a dark cavern, with hardened dirt grounds and walls so high up she isn't able to make out the above — nothing but a slit in the distance, a little blue peeking inside.

However far beneath she has fallen, the Academy has, too. Seems like the earth itself swallowed the majestic, unbreakable, self-repairing institute.