XXV || The Walls

Lena truly feels like a complete fool now.

If there are labels in this world noting each person's worth, she'll be at the bottom of the pit.

When they finally emerge at the other end of the alleyway, Lena lets loose a breath she's been holding. Her hands unclench, relax. The three others are walking slightly ahead of her, carefree and laughing, the exact contrary of her, who was panicking seconds ago when they walk through an alleyway with more demons floating and lurking compared to the busy main streets that are full of bustling human activity. They act as if this is entirely run-of-the-mill, like they didn't just walked through a demon-infested path.

This is how Arcane Academy's students carry themselves. Without fear.

Lena reminds herself she is but one of the students of Arcane Academy now. Her uniform is of the exact same as those three before her. She needs to learn and adapt fast for people to start respecting her, especially if she is going to duel one of the most powerful students in the Academy. She'll have to do it a step at a time. It comforts her to remember that Neesha is also from the other side of the bridge, just like her. If Neesha can fit in and be comfortable now, perhaps one day Lena is similarly able, too.

The thoughts swarming her pumps a positive outlook in her. Maybe it isn't so bad after all. Her first day has been hectic, but that will only make her experience stronger.

It's the first time she encounters demons - not considering the demon hounds they faced with Lucifer. They aren't exactly harmful. Perhaps they are not the offensive or attacking types, because the demons back in the canyon were sure aggressive. The alleyway they just passed isn't at all hostile. There were demons, definitely, and the air was eerily colder due to their very presence.

But they didn't attack.

The demons in the alleyway are one of a shadow, flitting in the darkness. The gleaming red eyes watched them as they passed, but shrunk away whenever Caelus, Roen or Neesha fearlessly - perhaps even unknowingly - stepped too close. It is the first time Lena's seen those type of demons in this city. It's not like she's seen many, but they are very different from those that fly parallel with the flying cars, and those that roam the streets. The shadow demons are quiet, cold, and unmoving.

Lena quickens her pace, a question grasping itself in the corner of her mind.

"- damage? Seems really odd," Neesha is saying.

When Lena catches up, she blurts, "Are demons a mutation of things part of our lives? You know, dogs, shadows, what not?" She finds herself asking before she can stop her own curiosity that overpowers her fear.

"Observant. And a quick learner," Roen compliments. "Yes. We are taught that the demons are evolved species of many objects, even living things."

"They do have a soul, then?"

"It's known as a corrupted soul," Neesha explains further. "And Catalysts use their enhanced, superhuman abilities to destroy them."

Roen punches her in the arm. "Superhuman?"

Neesha giggles. "Where Lena and I are from, people don't exactly crush buildings wither their bare hands." She leans over and whispers in Lena's ears, "Still can't get used to some of the things in this crazy city."

This pulls a grin over Lena. "You and I have a lot of talking to do."

In a way, Lena is grateful that she has friends she merely met and bonded - considering today's events - together with her as she heads back to her new apartment. With the rush of moving before her enrolment in Arcane Academy, she doesn't even remember her own address. If Roen and Neesha haven't asked her to take the Aerotrain with them, she probably would have struggled longer to find the best way home.