XXI || Trigger

Seconds then minutes of silence go by, yet there is no sign of life from Caelus. He has his eyes affixed on Lena's, but only a void passes between them.

Finally, when Lena is nearly about to think maybe he hasn't exactly registered any of her words at all, Caelus says firmly, "No."

Her heart jumps and a heavy load is immediately lifted from it even without fully comprehending the single, cruel word, and she lets out a sigh of relief before anything else. "Amazing! Great! Then —"

"No."

"Wait — what?!"

Lena is overly confident with her words. Never once has her words, the most powerful weapon beyond physical, silly Catalyst abilities, fail her. She even once considered a career in law, because her language is strong. Her emotions are usually the drive, the source; sure, her volcanic and turbulent feelings can sometimes bring catastrophic events — such as getting the Ace to have skepticism about her — but they often mend things for her, too. All these years, she has come to embrace them and channel them into words.

But now she is lost. High in doubts. Everything is plummeting as for the first time in her life, her words fail her.

"You heard me, no," Caelus affirms, breaking eye contact and crossing his arms, but not in an offensive manner. It seems like a gesture he simply does.

"But —" Lena sputters, gaping at Caelus, who briefly looks at her once more before turning his back on her. How many times has he done this, she has lost count. "I —"

He is already walking back into the student filled corridors as Lena follows him dumbly, clouded by horror and also shock.

Then she stops abruptly as a thought crosses her mind.

"Wait a minute." She catches up to Caelus, which isn't hard since he isn't making an effort to run away. He simply walks at a leisure pace as if nothing else bothers him — and maybe nothing does, except maybe Lena. "If you refuse, does that mean my duel can be cancelled? Is that how it works?"

He stops suddenly, too, and Lena has to backtrack. He studies her. "You are clueless."

"Well, yeah, I'm new —"

Caelus continues to walk, completely ignoring her. Didn't he stop to talk to her? Seems like he merely commented, then is now weaving through the now more crowded hallways and corridors. Students are filing out from weird locations, and Lena wonders if it is time for lunch.

But she has more things to worry about at the moment.

It isn't difficult following Caelus, his pure white hair is too unique. She pushes past students, trying to get to him. Once again, it isn't difficult. He isn't exactly making an effort to move fast and avoid her. He's already good at ignoring her as it is, anyway.

"Caelus, wait," she calls his name, a little nervous. This is the first time she's said his name directly, and it sounds weird because they aren't officially friends. They met under odd circumstances, aren't exactly on good terms — well, at least based on the way he's been dismissing her — and haven't gotten a proper exchange of an introduction.

He reaches a deserted corridor again, but this time, there is a door at the end of the corridor instead of a glass window. He walks straight toward it and opens without knocking, then enters. Lena rushes to follow.

The door opens to a very large, bright white room. Lena has to adjust her eyes before registering the sight before her. The wafting, strong smell of antiseptic permeates her senses first. Then she understands it must be the infirmary.