XXXVI || Five Versus One

In the time Lena and Neesha are too stunned to react, Professor Burgundy, still slightly hesitant, checks his digital watch and then briskly claps his hands for attention, silencing the dishevelled students. He turns his heels and faces the students who are now warming up, with the exception of Sumiye, who seems completely stunned. The blonde girl has long since returned to the crowd of students, sharing some sort of sick joke with her friends.

"Please take your positions," Professor Burgundy commands all too quickly after all the time wasted, returning to his usual airy tone and routine.

The rest of the students who are too confused or simply not courageous enough to say something about what just happened to Sumiye shrug the little mishap off in the blink of an eye, now focusing instead on the upcoming event, completely distracted. Not Neesha. Lena's friend trembles with rage, and she is stomping forward to confront the giggling group, but suddenly the crowd of students begin to disperse at random, forming a circle to witness the coming battle. By the time Lena understands it's her cue to simply find a corner where she can look at the spectacle, the crowd of students have already snagged the best spots, and nothing else is remembered as the incoming challenge looms. Luckily, Roen gestures to her at the last minute, and she manages to squeeze in beside him.

Professor Burgundy's instructions come too urgently. He motions his hand several times to each student who are about to face Arven. Despite Lena's confusion if it were up to her to do the exercise, the six students take no hesitation in scattering and complying. Arven moves to the far right of Professor Burgundy while the other five challengers move to stand opposite of him at the left.

"Arven, if you please," says Professor Burgundy, "do set the perimeter."

"With pleasure."

He takes a stance and thrusts his palms out. A barrier forms and circles the six students, bouncing out and forcing the remaining students back. Now humming with power, the force field circumferates the combating students in, allowing the appropriate room for whatever tactics they intend to display.

The students step back slightly, but still ensure they are not far behind to witness the battle. Apparently this isn't something that happens every day — normally, Combat Training only limits to what students call a mini duel, and stronger students often find it boring. Lena catches sight of some ongoing bets.

"Ready yourselves," Professor Burgundy signals. Then, as the students are getting fired up, he gives the cue. "Combat."

Immediately as the battle commences, Arven doesn't pull back his strikes. He hits Xavier first, aiming for Clarice next. A blast of rippling disturbance of air waves pushes Xavier against the far border of the arena, and although the first strike does not hit Clarice since she probably predicted the attack as she rolls out of the way, Arven increases the range of his force field and blasts her down.

Although she trips, Clarice is quite agile on her feet. She dodges the subsequent attacks Arven sends after her, and he grows impatient and annoyed. At the moment he is, he is swiped clean off his feet by Reyes, whose hand is reaching for his shoulder—

Arven springs to his feet, grazing his palms on the ground and sending a blast the throw the quirky boy off his feet and scrambling to the edges. That was close. Despite himself, Arven rolls his shoulders and plants his back against the perimeter he created himself. He doesn't know the specifications of Reyes' powers, such as how long he is able to copy one or the extent to which he can absorb it, but he will take no chances.

Eyes darting around the arena, he searches for Clarice, who's now smart enough to stand behind the bulky Renault. Arven furrows his brows. He forces a punch of power their way, hitting them both, but as suspected, Renault blocks most of his power. Arven pushes harder, and Renault is send skidding against the ground, but it isn't enough to take him down. He'll have to find another way to get to the Clairvoyant. Still, they aren't standing together. Which means they aren't plotting anything.