XXVI || Saving The Train

If it isn't for Caelus, Lena might have fallen into the great chasm of the splitting train, tumbling into abyss.

Roen and Neesha fall back on each other on the opposite side, and their part of the train jerks. The part Lena is on shakes and shudders, and then tilts to the side. Lena hits the window glass, and, thankfully, it does not shatter. Nevertheless, she carefully picks herself up and holds on to one of the poles as support of the now imbalance train. She wonders what's keeping them aloft, and hopes the metal rails are as sturdy as they look.

All around her, she hears panicked voices from the other passengers. The threat is real.

The train jerks yet again, and people start screaming now. Lena wonders if there are Catalysts, who are capable of handling the situation. She shouldn't worry. This is the City of Leatia after all.

An ear splitting creak breaks through, and without warning, the other end of the train where Roen and Neesha are separated from Lena and Caelus is pulled back, completely wrenched from the tracks.

"What the — What is happening?!" someone yells.

Lena's heart thuds faster. How can the train —

Her eyes widen as she finds the source. An enormous dark, black blob is looming as large and as tall as a building. Its jelly like hands are wrapping around the front half of the broken train, and pulling them towards it. As it continues to pull, the metal tracks continue to give in, and the two halves of the train jerk and slowly lose their balance. Now Lena isn't sure if they are safer. They might not be on their way to the crazy huge demon's claws, but they aren't exactly stable. One wrong move from any passenger might just trip the wire. At least the front half is being held steady by the demon's hands.

"I-It's gigantic!" Lena gapes.

"This is why," Caelus says, "I hate public transport."

His eyes flashes angrily, and Lena backs away as he outstretches his arm and snaps his fist closed. Immediately, the train broken in two halves stop dangling dangerously, though it still wobbles. He has suspended them with air pressure. The other half of the train stops screeching towards the giant demon. The monster looks confused, then tries to tug at its target again. When the train doesn't budge, it roars, sending a wave of energy that shakes the two halves of the train.

"Demon!" someone shouts.

Lena frowns, looking to Caelus for an answer. "I thought demons are pretty common here."

He casts her an incomprehensible look. He glances from her to the demon that's still trying to claw at the front half of the train. "But it is not as if they see that everyday. And there are passengers on the train, too — not all of whom are Catalysts who can fend for themselves as they are suspended over the air with an impending doom to that demon's claws."

When Lena merely stares at him uncomprehendingly, he gives the slightest hint of a smirk. "I've forgotten you're new here."

"Um, okay?" Lena spreads her hands and gestures at the demon and their suspended, broken train. "Seeing that the City of Leatia brings surprises everyday, can I assume we're safe?"

"You're never safe in the City of Leatia."

"That's reassuring."

"That isn't my intended objective."

"Now is not the time, guys!" Roen yells from the other half of the train.

A loud screeching sound follows, and Lena watches in horror as the demon begins clawing the top of the train, potentially pulling the metal off soon. The entire railway shakes.