11: Saving My Knight

-It took gratitude to finally make him stay-

He returned to his old ways pretty soon. After having me tag along for one walk, Demir was quick to turn into his cold and completely reserved self, which seriously stung but wasn't unexpected. I knew that my cold husband was never relapsing from guilt. He could never feel such emotions for someone he truly hated. 

Yes, I was positive that he hated me now...even my pain hadn't moved his heart. And this time, I knew why... 

Breaking down as the days continued to roll by, I had to refrain from falling into deep spells of depression. It had struck me in high school...it was striking again. And this time, I had to silently endure it. 

We had to stay on the Princely Islands for almost a month because Hammad and Behlul wanted their cousins to be there for the grand parties they were hosting. I had to inform my workplace that I won't be able to return soon. And surprisingly, they were cool about it. They simply assigned me to work that I could do from home. I knew that this was one of the privileges that I had earned because of Madam Geena, but I couldn't rebuke this opportunity. 

My parents deserved me to do something for them. 

Knowing that my suspicion about Demir's apology was solely based on redeeming his manly ego, I had decided to stay away from him and wipe my lonely tears during isolation. He would ignore me, and I would stay hidden in my small room, only coming out to have breakfast, lunch and dinner with the family. 

Samiya Begum wouldn't really allow me to have a heavy breakfast, yet when I would look up and try to decipher how Demir was feeling about me openly being admonished for eating food, he would simply keep on staring at his food and slicing French bread with lost interest. That had me sorrowfully chewing on my bits of dried cinnamon sticks and gulping down my bitter green lemon tea. 

The parties being thrown were grand. They were taking place in Hammad and Behlul's huge gardens and had guests arriving from everywhere. Many princesses and princes were arriving to congratulate the new kings. I was rarely introduced or even noticed at these parties. Usually hiding away in corners, I would watch Sonia and Aliya greet guests with graceful fervour and elitist-friendliness. 

As Saturday soon rolled by, there was another party being hosted; the final party to celebrate the success of the Kings. Being the final party, I had decided to let go of the blues and enjoy it for once. Walking up early in the morning, I decided to treat myself by wearing my favourite silver earring. Somehow, today, I felt energetic and hopeful.

Mood swings. 

Walking with a skip, I headed out of my room, determined to fight against the dooming sensation of depression, and stopped only upon hearing low voices arguing in the living room. 

"You are leaving?" It was Samiya Begum lowly chastising someone. 

"Ma, don't get started. I have to attend some meetings and be done with some deals. I have been here for too long," Demir spoke, making my heart squeeze.

He was leaving? I should be happy that he was leaving. It would leave me some space to breathe and a sense of freedom to finally get away from his cold personality...to not be constantly reminded how badly he and Madam Geena had deceived me, yet it still hurt..pained. 

Ugh! 

Why did it still hurt? 

"But your brothers-" 

"They are the kings. I am sure they can handle themselves. Pa-"

"Don't even think about going there," Samiya begum admonished. "You know your Pa made up for his choice by naming you the heir. At least-"