26: Waiting For the Wrong Knight

NOTE: Hope you all are doing super well and smiling!! So, I wanted some serious advice Something about this story is worrying me. I feel like some readers (rightfully so) are complaining about Maya acting super weak at the beginning of the story, and though, later I have explained why she is the way she is...I feel like I should put a disclaimer at the beginning of the story. 

Do you think I should do that?

Anyway, back to the story...

Have an awesome day!

________

-Not all princesses chose the right knight-

Having lunch with Asmara's family turned out to be a huge task. 

The family spread a beautiful rug on the floor where we all had to sit and eat. I found that arrangement so exciting and was about to loosen up when Asmara's second mom joined us for lunch. That woman hardly looked older than me and had a constant haughty expression on her face. She was wearing too much gold and didn't even bother smiling. 

It was so uncomfortable.

As Hena served us delicious food, the second wife, whose name I still didn't know,  simply pulled a chair next to us and sat with her hands folded. She didn't even bother with basic etiquette as Hena practically placed the food plate in her hands. She seemed slightly spoiled and proud. Mrs Emir was treating this woman the same way she was treating Asmara and me, and at this point, her constantly trying to please this woman seemed pitiful. 

I almost choked on a piece of butter bread when Mrs Emir brought a glass of sweet milk for the spoiled queen, and she simply waved it away with a single gesture of her right hand. All this made me feel so sad for Mrs Emir...and frankly ashamed at my own self. Was this how I had been acting around my husband? The effort Hena was putting seemed so heartbreaking, but strangely Asmara seemed unbothered with it. She was chewing on chicken legs while I sat feeling awkward and weird. 

Having a spoonful of spinach and tomatoes, I literally had enough when Hena offered to make something else for the second wife, since that she really wasn't eating anything, but that spoiled girl only rolled her eyes in annoyance. Was this the kind of atmosphere Asmara had to deal with every day? The constant humiliation of her mother...the reminder of her father's betrayal...it must be excruciating. 

Rosy had told me that Asmara's father saw this woman working on the farm and immediately decided to marry her. The second mom actually used to be Asmara's friend until she caught the chief's eyes. It was depressing how this girl didn't mind getting married an old man. Most of the village girls, here, were actually obsessed with finding a rich husband. It was just how they were brought up. Getting married was their topmost priority. 

Anyhow, after having lunch, Asmara took me to her room. It was upstairs and seemed of cooked tea leaves. We were sitting on her bed when she decided that I had to her see family stables.

"Zaheer personally grooms the horses there. They are his most prized possession," she boasted, making me awkwardly shift. Again with the mentioning of her brother...

"That's nice," I simply smiled, fidgeting with my fingers, but she wasn't going to take my composed gestured as an answer. 

Grabbing me by my hand, she began dragging me to the huge outfields behind their house. There were workers and family staff roaming around us, but they didn't really bother us as we headed towards the fieldside. 

The wind had subtly started to blowing as we trampled past the dried-up crops and headed towards the huge red stables. The neighing of horses had already begun reaching our ears.