23: When He Finally Realized

-some mistakes are just too costly-

"I don't know, but she just left," Demir had his head slightly lowered towards the grounds, palms lightly rubbing against the lids to keep his emotions at bay.

Meeran nodded in understanding, absently playing with her diamond bracelet.

"Demir," she spoke after a minute, softly calling him out.

"Why are you here?" She mused, watching his expression immediately fall.

Minutes had passed since he had arrived at her place. He had literally slumped down on her living room's couch and ordered for the coffee cup to brought to him.

Meeran didn't like orders. This new side of him...his bitter mood swings, they were new to her. She had just returned back from her shopping spree when he had decided to show up, so she thought maybe she could reminisce old times when they shopped together, but all he wanted to do was sob about the woman he replaced her with. That resentment was never going to fade away.

"Because I really needed to talk to you-"

"Why?" She reiterated, keeping her gaze fierce. He looked extremely confused and slightly offended.

"Because I feel like you are, and have always been, a great friend of mine. We started off with being so happily married, and now I think I can say for the both of us that we-"

"Friends?" She coldly interrupted, raising an eyebrow. "Do you still think that all this meeting up- you randomly coming up for coffee and taking me to your house-is just part of being friends?" She mocked.

Demir seemed highly confused and flustered as he rubbed the nape of his neck, slightly lowering his gaze, his hold firm around the coffee cup. "Yes...I mean when we met again, we both accepted that we had actually moved on, so that is what we are." Even he didn't sound so sure about his words. Meeran frowned.

"Demir," she huffed, leaning against her leather couch. Demir was sitting on a one-seater couch before her.

"You know when I returned back, I was thinking about getting my husband back again," she confessed, making Demir turned blanched.

"B-but I thought-"

"I lied, okay." She looked away from him, absently fidgeting with her diamond-loop earring. Her living room was covered with shopping bags and expensive furry carpets. She had to call the house arrangement.

"The truth is-" She heaved a deep breath, turning back towards him. Her first husband seemed stone-tied by this epiphany now. "-after recovering from my amnesia, the first person to come to my mind was you, and when I came back, I was furious to learn that you had already married someone. I met Aliya, and she told me how much you adored your new wife. It felt crushing, but when I met you I felt like I could get you back again." She sounded slightly teary.

Demir had turned completely cold, a deep frown settling on his face. "Meeran, I don't understand." His voice gained octaves. "You told me that you had moved on. I confessed that I was deeply obsessed with my new wife now, so what made you think that I would return back? Albeit, we once were happily married, but I feel like those emotions were mostly formed because we were miserable brats annoyed by our arrogant rich society. So what made you think we could get back together?"

"You," she deadpanned, staring straight into his eyes. He paled..the coffee cup completely squeezed between his eyes. A sense of frantic confusion and fear was swaying behind his eyes. He just seemed so lost. His muscles had tightened to fight against this blow. 

"How?" His voice seemed hollow, his voice suddenly cracking with an emotion...panic of some sort.

"When you started secretly meeting me at restaurants, when you brought me back to your place and allowed me to be the lady of your house while your new girl sat miserably in one corner, when you tried to convince your own self that your new mousy wife would be completely okay with me re-entering in your life...it told that me all about your priorities." She eyed her eye-nails, knowing she had hit the spot.

Demir seemed completely dishevelled by now. This epiphany...realizing just what exactly he had been doing...it felt like a nightmare. He had messed up.

While always trying to convince Maya that he was completely over his first wife, he had completely failed to see what exactly she was seeing; the truth. No matter he tried to deny it, he was still clinging on the warm memories of his past...the good times.