16: His Choice

-Simple moments are enjoyed by most-

Family lunchtimes...I had always adored them, but they seemed to feel extra special with Demir accompanying me. There were homey laughs shared...political discussions. Seeing Demir being forced to eat all of my mama's special homemade croquettes was amusing. My husband was one polite soul if he wanted to be. He had let my mother fill his plate out of courtesy and enthusiastically debated my father over political issues.

 Fortunately, my father and Demir considered Imran Khan their current favourite politician. I was also a huge fan of his leadership. I deeply respected how he fought for Pakistan, fought against corruption and was welcomed on platforms for the best reaction to the pandemic. Dad was literally sold when Demir claimed that his business made sure to donate to Imran Khan's Cancer-Curing Foundation monthly. 

It sounded so impressive. 

Despite our dining room being extremely small, with all adults literally crammed inside it, I could feel that nobody really minded the lack of space. Family bonding just made everyone feel warm-even Demir. I wondered what had changed his mind. What had made his return to my home and allowed himself to be treated as a guest?

When stepping inside the house, I noticed Demir trying to cover up his uncomfortable expressions and feign polite expressions, yet once my family started pampering him and treating him as family, he seemed to have warmed up. I had always seen my husband acting so stiff and cold, yet right here, with my parents, he seemed to look so relaxed and comfortable. There were even moments when I caught him suppressing small smiles. It was so cute. Who knew that my husband enjoyed family bonding moments, right?

Samiya Begum and Sonia weren't too big on spending quality time with family. Dining with my in-laws had always seemed so cold, so lacking, any attachment and concern. The times Demir showed up only led to small talks shared over the business growth rate, top shopping destinations or how wonderful of a person Aliya was. It felt like money was the only thing that connected the Demir household. 

Soon, after lunch, I began picking up the dishes only to have Demir help me. 

"Allow me," he smiled, making me give him a shocked look. My spoiled brat husband, who had never done just chores his entire life, wanted to help me. 

It was surreal. 

Reluctantly nodding, I took the lead as he followed behind and walked straight towards the kitchen.  Saad and his sister were sitting around the kitchen counter, eating spoons full of my mama's homemade cookie dough. 

"Food fight!" Saad spoke at the sight of me, throwing a spoonful of dough at me. When young, this is how these babies used to tease me. I was all about telling them the importance of food and how not to waste it, and they would throw food at me just to tease me. 

"Why you-" I dodged the throw, only to turn pale as I heard Demir huff in discomfort. 

Turning around, I gasped and covered half of my face with my hands at Demir's black jacket now spoiled with a dark spot. His expression was stoic and slightly disgusted. 

"Demir, I am so sorry-" I don't know why I was apologizing, but I knew this was my house. Anything offending him here was, kind of, linked to me. 

"It's fine-"

"Saad," I immediately turned towards the culprit. "How many times have I told you-"

"It's fine," Demir spoke from beside me, moving to place the dirty dishes on the counter.

"No, it's not," I shook my head. "Saad, say sorry." The naughty little boy just pulled out his tongue at me, causing his little sisters to giggle. I scoffed.