He's Gone

"He's gone."

A quiet voice whispered through the crack in the door. It was a little boy, his knees curled up in the dark corner. His hair covering his tears. The fear in his eyes made him shake. 

"Alan, you can come with me", a social worker's whispy voice said. 

Alan cried softly, "Take my hand. I'm scared. He's gone." The social worker stared into Alan's scared eyes, "Who's gone?" Alan grabbed the social worker's hand tightly, "My daddy. He is gone." Alan pointed to his father's body on the ground. "How did this happen?", the social worker asked. "He fell down the stairs after he said he's going to kill me", Alan whispered. 

"It took Alan ten months of recovery. He had been locked in the basement for three weeks. With little food and water. Only seven years old. His dad beat him up every day.", the social worker said to the judge. The judge stared her in the eyes, "We have already arrested his mother." "She pushed him down the stairs". 

.................

"Brender, you have a visitor", his co-worker said. "Can you tell them to come here", Alan said. The door opened, it was someone Alan knew. Someone who kept him safe, someone who he loved. Someone he hadn't seen in over twenty years. 

...........

"Sweetie, do you want to go to court to see your mommy", the social worker said. "No, I'm scared she'll take me back", Alan said. The social worker shrugged, "Where is she going to take you, hon". Alan whispered, "She will take me back home, and I don't want to go home". 

............

It was his mom. His mom. Who he'd missed but was afraid to reach out to. "Alan, my baby. Oh, I have finally been allowed to see you by my parole officer." He wiped his tears, full of emotions. "I missed you too, mom". They hugged that warm hug. That hug that lets you know that you're safe. "I love you, Alan. I can't even explain how much I have missed you", she said. "I love you too", Alan said in that wholesome moment. 

"Calvin this is your grandma", Alan introduced. Calvin smiled and hugged her right away. She smiled too, "You are the best hugger, like your dad". "Now, show me my handsome grandson's momma", she smirked. Alan scratched his head, "Um, ma. She passed away." She teared up, "I'm sorry, bub." Even in that awkward moment, meeting his mom again was amazing. He had missed her so much. She gave up everything for him. She went to jail for twenty years, just for Alan to have a good life. 

"Dad, I know you are sad. And it's okay. I know you miss mom and Jessie. You can cry if you want", Calvin hugged Alan. What Calvin said sunk into his heart. Calvin was right. Alan had tried to keep in his sadness for Calvin. He had tried to keep on a brave face for his son. But it made Alan have a hole in his heart. Because once in a while, a person should be allowed to breakdown. 

Alan lost a lot of people. But he also passed down their legacy. His wife left behind Calvin, who was a piece of her. Alan had tried so hard to be a good dad. Since his dad was horrible. But Alan never gave himself enough time to heal. He had open wounds, that turned into scars. Those memories of his wife, snuck into his mind every day. It made him lose control. Lose control of his emotions, and now he was overwhelmed. 

Later that evening, Alan's mom crept into his room. She sat on his bed, "Hey, Alan. I'm your mom. I love you. If your feeling something come talk to me." Alan kept quiet, as his mom left the room. Alan was a grown man, and it's embarrassing to see a grown man cry. But he needed to cry. Just to let out his stress. This case was getting to him. And he was against his greatest enemy, himself. He was always against himself. Fighting his feelings. Fighting his guilt. Now, he was trying something new. A case. At this point, it was more than a case. It was finding himself, proving people's justice, and putting the guilty behind bars. 

................

The pale-skinned woman. The wicked women. She walked with guilt and grace. He waited for her. This time the light shined on his face. His scarred hands. His dark lips, and green eyes. He had a sly smirk. "Amelia. I have yet another duty for you". She stared at him, such fear in her eyes. "Yes, what is it?" He glared into her eyes, "Burn the police station down." She stopped her guilt-driven stare.  "No, I can't. It could kill people." His smirk turned into a quick frown. He slammed his fist into the wall, creating a dent. "Amelia. You fool, you do what I say. Not the other way around. You know what I'll do if you don't complete your tasks. Now get some matches and gasoline, and burn it down." She took back her lingering tear, "Ye-s. I'll get to it." She shivered with fear.