ch. 1

The splitting headache was the first thing that my mind registered as I started to wake up. Then it was the pain down my back that seemed to worsen every time I moved. Next it was the fact that I'm freezing cold. I open my eyes and find myself surrounded by trees.

What? I think in my groggy, half awake state. Not fully understanding my situation I sit up and look around again. Suddenly everything hits me and I start to panic, hyper aware of everything that's going on around me.

Okay yn, maybe if I climb a tree I can see somewhere to get help.

With that thought in mind I stand up and start climbing the closest tree. And what do you know, a huge city with buildings taller than the tree I'm on. Now knowing where I need to go for help I make my way back down and start to travel the jungle.

•••••••••••Judy P.O.V•••••••••••••

Even though we closed the night howler case and everyone is behind bars, there is still animals going feral. I've been put on CCTV duty so that means sitting at a desk, watching computers for hours until I find a clue. Dont get me wrong, I love my job but I would much rather be out on the streets helping people right now. It doesn't help that for the last 30 minutes theres been no cha-

Wait what's that?

I zoom in on a camera in the rainforest district, not too far from the city.

It looks like... a... furless monkey? Well except the fur on its head. What is that anyway? OH WAIT I SHOULD PROBABLY DO MY JOB AND TELL SOMEONE

I scramble to get my walkie talkie out and report what I've seen.

"Sir, theres an unidentifiable animal in the jungle district, requesting permission to investigate."

"Permission granted Hopps"

With that I spring out the seat and rush around preparing to leave. Finally in the right gear I go to my car ready to go. Just my luck though, when I reach my car I notice Nick leaning against it.

"Hey, where are you heading?"

"Unknown creature in the rainforest district, I'm leaving to check it out."

"Mind some company? Our adventures are always fun Hopps."

"Sure" With that we both get in the car and start making our way to where the animal was last spotted.

••••••••••your pov••••••••••

Have been walking for almost half an hour now. I remembered to check for my phone a few steps in and checked the time. I also tried to call my mum (again change it if you want) but there is no service.

Finally, the edge but theres police tape. I squint my eyes to see if I can make anything else out but when I do I can make out a rabbit? It looks like a rabbit but its standing on its hind legs, rabbits arent supposed to do that right? Like I know they can but this one is balanced.

I hide behind a tree, too afraid of getting caught to move and watch to see what's happening. The rabbit starts walking okay somethings definitely up.

It makes it's way in my direction, if I stay too long it will see me. With that in mind I start slowly backing away.

Snap

Oh sh*t

A stick snapped from behind me causing me to flinch and freeze for a second. I dont want to turn and see what happened but if I dont then it could be dangerous.

My mouth drops open when I see a fox behind me, on its hind legs, HOLDING A BATON.

OKAY DONT FREAK OUT.

DONT FREAK OUT

THINK CALMLY

YOURE FORGETTING TO BREATH

BREATH FOR GODS SAKE

Okay good

NOW RUN, WHY ARE YOU JUST STANDING THERE? MOVE

OKAY WHEN I SAY RUN I DONT MEAN INTO A BRANCH

THEY'RE FOLLOWING YOU TRY LOOSE THEM

MAKE A SHARP RIGHT

LEFT

LEFT AGAIN

RIGHT

I start to slow down because my chest hurts from the irregular breathing. I turn around to see how long I can afford to stop but when I do I see nothing. No rabbit standing up and no fox threatening me with a baton.

At least I can now start to try think of a plan of action. First I need to know where I a-

Seriously?

An alleyway?

Well maybe I can figure out where I am?

I slowly creep towards the corner of the alley and peak my head round but want to know what I see?

MORE ANIMALS STANDING UP

WHY ARE THEY WEARING CLOTHES?

WHERE EVEN AM I?

Okay calm down. Well from what just happened we can guess they arent friendly so it's best not to take my chances asking for help. Maybe I can make my way back to the forest? Nah, I dont know where I am.

"AHHHHHHH!!!!! HELP!!!!"

What was that? I run to see if everything is okay and see what looks like a wolf on one of those human like foxes who, I now know can speak English. WAIT IS THE WOLF ABOUT TO KILL THE FOX?

The wolf looks like one of the ones I would expect to see, on all fours and dirty fur. The fox however, reminds me of a child, screaming for their parents to help them. I cant just do nothing. Okay what do I know about wolves...

Never turn your back or run because it will trigger their predatory instincts

Climb a tree because they can't climb

Make yourself look as big as possible so you look like you could kill it

Make as much noise as possible so you can scare it

Have some for of weapon incase it tries to attack

Never make yourself seem weak or else it will see you as pray

With those thoughts in mind I pick up what looks like a shattered beer bottle but the name isnt one I recognise. I take a shakey breath to prepare myself for what I'm about to do and scream at the top of my lungs.

Both the fox and the wolf look at me startled but it worked because the wolf is now ready to pounce at me instead of pinning down the fox and snarling at it.

"You speak English right?" I nervously ask the fox, not letting myself break eye contact with the wolf.

"Yeah" it timidly replies

"Good, can you climb that tree?"

"Yeah"

"Perfect. I need you to climb that tree for me and stay there until it's safe to come down."

I dont get a reply but instead I hear the branches moving, at least I dont have to worry about its safety now. Then the wolf pounced at me.

I use the shattered glass bottle to stab its stomach as many times as possible and keep the wolf away from my head and neck. After a few minutes of this I finally pin it to the ground as it passes out and start to catch my breath again.

I turn my attention to the fox in the tree and ask if it's okay, ignoring the gashes along my sides caused by the wolf. It nods its head to say that it's fine and the wolf is now unconscious. Perfect, now if I pass out because of blood loss theres one less thing to worry about.

My legs shake beneath me as I start to walk to the tree but no matter how strong I act it doesn't change the fact that my eye sights going blurry. I feel so tired and my body sways but it's not until I fall over I let the exhaustion take over, all my fight gone.