ch. 2

Nick P.O.V (Back to the car journey)

"Okay carrots. What you're telling me is that theres an unidentifiable animal who appeared out of nowhere in the middle of the jungle district. We have no clue what it is, what its capabile of and we are going in alone with nothing but batons."

"We are just investing right now, we don't have to try bring it in yet."

"Let me guess, you're going to try bring it in anyway though."

She didn't give me a verbal response but the grin that she had told me that I'm right. I turn my attention to the road when I noticed that the jungle district is in sight. Judy drives us to the more remote part of town close to the edge of the warning zone for feral animal attacks.

"Okay, this is it." She says pulling to a stop near the tree line. Theres already police tape round this area from the feral attacks. When we get out we head straight for the tape and duck under it.

"You go that way, I'll go this way. Make sure you keep your walkie talkie on. You remember what it looks like yeah?"

I nod my head then start to wander around. Within seconds I see it, staring straight at Judy. Drawing my baton, I shuffle towards it but of course with my luck I stand on a branch. The animal stiffened instantly then slowly turns to face me. I am about to say hello but it starts running as soon as we make eye contact.

I chase after it as it weaves through the trees making sure to shout for judy to start the car. After minutes of running it takes a sharp left and I loose it.

"Carrots," I start through the walkie talkie. "Where are you, I lost it."

"YOU LOST IT!!!! Okay you know what, it's fine. Maybe we can find it through security cameras. Where was the last place you saw it?"

I tell her where I am and wait for her to come pick me up.

•••••••••Time Skip (ZPD HQ)•••••••••

"Okay so the last place you saw the animal was here right?" Judy asks pointing to the screen. I nod my head still mad that she didnt let me name the creature.

"And the time we lost it was at about 7pm"

She reminds the time to 7 and speeds up the footage from the CCTV until we see it. The animal runs past but stops suddenly at the edge of the screen. It looks over the alley way wall and stares at something. Then comes back and grabs a smashed beer bottle off the ground. Suddenly we hear a scream from the CCTV (we added microphones because of the attacks that's been happening) and the creature turns the corner

"Can we switch cameras to see what's going on?"

The camera swaps to show us a horrifying image. A young fox being attacked by a feral wolf.

"You speak English right?" The creature shocks us all by speaking up. It detracts the wolf and tells the fox to climb a tree. By how fast it was running I could have sworn it was prey, I was either wrong or the thing is as dumb as Judy.

"Why did it tell the fox to climb a tree?" Judy asks but I dont know the answer so I just shrugged.

The wolf suddenly jumps at the animal with its teeth bared but then something shocking happened. The animal fights back, stabbing the wolf with the bottle and eventually the wolf passes out. All I can do I stare with my jaw dropped as the animal takes shakey steps and asks if the fox is okay. Then it falls over and doesn't get up.

The video is paused and silence washes over me and Judy. We both look at each other in shock, if I had gotten in a fight with it in the forest I could have died.

"We should go check it out."

The car ride is filled with Carrots excited rambling about the animal and before long we arrive with a medical team. Its 7:30 when we finally get out the car and see the animal properly up close since I didnt get that much of a chance to see it earlier. It has multiple wounds and I can tell everyone is a little afraid of it but do their job anyway. Both the wolf and the animal are heavily drugged so they don't hurt themselves or us when they wake up.

Me and Judy get the crying fox from the tree so we can get her statement at HQ.