ch. 9

An: Firstly, I am so so sorry this took so long to be published. I originally wanted to publish it months ago but the character sheets I made for the OCs got lost which freaked me out and it got to the point where writing became this big scary task. I've pulled myself together though so here you are.

Y/N P.O.V

I shuffled awkwardly down the street nearly keeping up with the tigers, keeping my hood low to try cover my face. The streets were quiet for the most part, if you ignore Mings eccentric chattering.

The group had a tense air of distrust hovering us like a cloud that Ming didnt see for some reason, like shes completely oblivious to it as she talks about her day in school. Through her I've learned everyone's names. I learned that she met the female black panther (lupita) in art their art major class, Lupita has been close to the Bengal tiger, carlos and hes been friends with the other two since childhood.

She skips ahead of us and into a small, homey cafe and everyone else fallows behind her. I tug the hood of the hoodie on wearing g further over my head in Hope's of hiding my face so that people dont freak out and rat me out to the police.

We sat down at a small table at the back of the cafe away from attention so that nothing happens. Having these predatory animals glare at me with so much rage was highly intimidating. I mean if looks could kill I'd be a fossle by now. The only thing serving me any comfort was the overly energetic tiger ramble about what's on the menu which eased the tension quite a bit. I didnt know what to get or even how to ask so I make up some quick excuse to run away to the toilets. Splashing water in my face I hype myself up to go back out but it didnt work cause I ended up locking myself in a stall so that I had more privacy to freak out.

Okay, it isnt that bad. I mean what's the worst that could happen? It's not like they have tried anything, yes I get dirty looks but it's not a valid reason to be freaking out this bad. I'm overreacting, its gonna be fine. Oh who am I kidding!?!?! I screech when I see a small spider. That fear is less rational yet it never stopped me from crying for help. Ugh. I'm hopele-

My line of thought was cut off when I heard the door open an the conversation that the people who just came in were having "-the human?" One of them ended their sentence with. Of course it was about me. And I thought the rumours that people spreading school were bad.
"Yeah scary! I heard that she attacked a wolf. I mean, that's an innocent animal tht she went and killed!"

Okay first off, it was the wolf or the child. Why wouldn't I protect someone else. Second of all, the wolf didnt die and thirdly, mind your own damn business!

"I know right!!!" The first girl started "I heard that she ran from the police earlier today and that there is a massive search. Do you think shell go out and kill other innocent animals during that time?"

Okay that's it!

I slam the door open loudly and strut out with my head held high. The two animals were beside the moro so I walk up right beside them and start "fixing" my hair. They were a sheep and a rabit and they were gawking at me with their mouths wide open. I turn to look at them and smirk, making sure to show off my teeth and say "Pitiful, both of you." Then strut out the door. That's when I saw the red and blue lights. Crap!

I turn around and run back into the toilets and climb out a window to avoid the police and sprint as far as I could get. However I find that all the exits are blocked and I'm trapped by cops.

"Y/n" I hear a familiar voice shout from behind me. Can today get any worse? I turn round to see that the people I was with are being put in handcuffs and into the back of police cars. However Ming starts doing something a bit odd. She starts moving her hand in a weird motion and mumbles the same sentence to herself over and over. The black panther screams at officers to give Ming space but offers no explanation when shes asked why Ming is acting like that.

"Y/n, you're supposed to be with Judy. Why did you run?" It's the aggressive fox dude. Ugh does he annoy me.

"If she wants to show me off to her family as some sort of freak that shes managed to tame then I'm leaving. I refuse to be shown off like I'm some sort of prize game." I say before my mind could register the irony of that statement. Dont get me wrong I think people who hunt for any reason other than being desperate for food are wrong so I would never make a joke about lives being taken. I'm just worried that I'm going to have to explain poaching and hunting for sport later. I mean I'm already seen as a monster so how bad would this make me look, even if I'm completely against killing where it's not needed (or at all if you're vegetarian/vegan/whatever else you may be)

Luckily, Nick doesnt register what I said as weird and just says that I have to come with them til they know what to do with me. He looks apologetic as he says it though, flinching slightly as he mentions that I may not have control over myself in the future.

"Listen kid. I'm just trying to do my job and protect you. Theres a lot of people who dont like you so we need to prove to them that they're safe. Most predators have to try prove themself in some way, yours is just a but more public. If you dont like officer hops then I'm sure theres other places that you can stay for the mean time but at the moment you're really not helping your case here."

Prove to them that they're safe. Wow, systematic oppression exists here too then huh? Who would have thought. Now that I think of it the term 'where anyone can be anything' does sorta have the same vibe as 'the land of the free'.

"Whatever..." I mutter before sticking my hands in my pockets and begrudgingly walk up to him.