ch. 5

Your P.O.V

The questions took hours but eventually a voice sounded through a microphone on the wall that they've heard enough. After that I was taken to a room that had computers and other things cluttered everywhere. I sat on a chair next to one of the computers, tapping my finger against my knee nervously. I dont know how long it took for a zebra to come in and start typing, asking questions occasionally but my anxiety was so high it felt like hours. She asked for my date of birth, full name and other basic information about me. Eventually I found out that she was making me I.D so I could be a citizen of Zootopia. During this I had a lot of time to think, I asked myself questions like; where am I staying? How am I getting home? What will happen when the public find out? Will I need to get a job or something? Will I finish off school? But most importantly, is she finding it awkward typing with hooves?

With my mind so focused on my worries and my confusion with trying to think logically I barely played attention to where I was going, just that I had to follow Judy. My footsteps echoed through the hallways as I walked to the exit. The cold breeze from the outside suddenly snapped me from my thoughts and I looked up at my surroundings. Flashing lights and cameras everywhere, news reporters screaming questions over each other directed to Judy.

"Officer Hopps, what is that thing you are walking beside?"

"Miss Hopps, is it true that the thing you are with almost killed a feral wolf?"

"Ma'am, why are you allowing it out if sources say it's so dangerous? Wont it attack us?"

"Are we safe with that on the loose?"

Trying my best to stand straight and confident even though I feel like a caged animal was hard, especially when I see a few tigers and lions. Judy grabs my hand and drags me to a small car and speeds off shouting something about a press conference as we pass the reporters.

An awkward silence lies thick in the air. I watch trees, houses and (though it's still odd) animals go past through the window and try come up with a topic.

"So... Where are we going?" The words almost come out as a whisper, it's clear it see I'm constantly second guessing myself.

"My house."

"Why are we going to your house?" I scrunch up my face a bit in confusion. A light laughter comes out her mouth when she faces me at a red light.

"You're staying with me until you can find your family. Quick heads up though, some of my siblings made a habit of turning up at my door unannounced."

"Oh, that's fine. How many do you have?"

"275, what about you who's in your family?" Not going to lie, I almost choked on my spit. I would chop off his penis if he got me pregnant that many times. Is condoms not a thing here?

"Uh... I have 1 brother (change that if you want)"

"Wait really? Is that normal for your kind?"

"I guess. It depends on other influences really. Where I'm from that's normal but in other countries they have more kids either because they have the money or because theres no protection and rape is common."

The rest of the car ride is pretty silent apart from the few questions here and there. When we eventually did pull up to Judy's house a few people took videos of us walking in and one person even threw something at me. Honestly, I was so close to tears I didn't bother checking what it was, so many people shouted abuse just for me being unusual.

It reminded me of home, in a sick, twisted way. A lot of people dont accept others for their gender, colour, sexuality and those who are different get singled out and discriminated. People think that, for some reason they are more human and more valid because of quality that's out of their control and they didnt choose, they dont see value of person as empathy or kindness, they care more where you're from or how much money you have. God forbid a poor, gay immigrant believe themselves as having the same amount of importance as a straight local. However it's also a good thing because it allows people like Judy to shine through. Those who are part of the majority yet still wholeheartedly accept people for who they are and see the personality before their status in society. She reminds me of those straights watching the videos of gay people complaining about the bad experiences they've had with straight people and feel like the world is forgetting that you're still allowed to be part of the majority without being against the minority, that it isnt a take sides situation.

Those thoughts put a smile on my face as I think of home, already inside and the door has been locked behind me.

"Take your shoes of- HAVE YOU BEEN CRYING?!?!? What's wrong? Are you okay? Is it the things they said? You're not a monster they are just closed minded. Please dont take anything they say to heart."

I smile softly "Thank you. I get that we dont know each other but still, you're really kind."

"...yeah, no problem. You're probably tired let me show you to your room."