ch. 7

Your P.O.V (FEMALE READER)

I searched Judy's eyes for something, anything that told me she wasnt afraid. She held my gaze and tried to look brave but no matter how hard she tried I could still see her fear.

I broke.

Running out the door, grabbing my jacket as I go. Blurred faces showing fear in every animal I passed as I weaved through the crowds of cameras and zipped up my jacket. Their judging eyes silently screaming at me over the whispers of "monster" playing at the crowds lips like a prayer. Monster, dangerous, freak, feral. I'm not feral. They don't see that. Hundreds of eyes taunting me and not one pair sees that I'm scared. No one sees that I'm alone.

Not that I blame them.

They see me as a predator. They see a monster. They see the news stories. They see what they've been told. They dont see with their own eyes. They see what others see. No matter how many people see, it's all one opinion. The news, who tell everyone everything even they dont have the whole story. They give the public the parts they want the public to see. They want the people to see a monster. A freak. A danger. A Predator.

A Predator.

Not the person who saved a childs life.

Not a person who has no clue of where they are.

Not a person who is afraid.

Not a person with feelings.

Not a person with any of the traits that make a person.

Not a person.

I am not a person to these people.

I am a stranger who they know nothing about. Not my story. Not my past. Not my abilitys. Not my skills.

History has a tendency to repeat itself and we all know humans fear what they dont understand. These people fear what they dont understand. They dont understand me. They fear me. When we fear something we do everything we can to get ride of that fear. They will do what they can to get rid of me.

Lungs stinging. Heart pumping. Skull pounding. My legs don't stop running. Not when I start to get a stitch. Not when I can't see past the tears. Not when I hear the voices fade. Not until I'm alone.

My footsteps start to slow down. My legs start to feel weak. I stumble to the closest alley way and collapse. My chest stings. My legs are numb. I let my head fall back onto the dirty wall behind me as my eyes unfocus and focus multiple times over. The thing I can hear is the wind pounding on the wall behind me and my heavy breathing. I stay there for a while, just calming myself. The only thing that comforts me is that it's now too dark to tell that I'm human by first glance. Maybe people will leave me alone.

I sit still for a bit just listening to the occasional car passing by. Then I hear voices.

"Did you see the news?" One of them asks. It's a boys voice, maybe a guy in his late teens. Or he sounds like he would be if he were human.

"What part?" Another boy asks, his voice is a little higher.

"The new animal?" A girl this time responds like a question.

"Yeah," it's the first voice. " they said he took on a feral wolf."

"Wasn't he saving a fox kit?" Theres 5 shadows nearing the alley I'm in.

"I dont know but he stabbed the wolf with a smashed bottle." The third one responded. They turned into the alley way and started walking towards me. I huddle into a bin and hope that they pass by. I still cant move, my body is jello.

"No, he was saving a fox kit. Remember he made the kit climb a tree?" My heart starts speeding up as they get closer. Each step taunting me as it echoes across the walls.

"Why did he tell the kit to climb a tree?" Could they hear my breathing? I swear my heartbeat is loud enough for them.

Then I hear a drop. A phone hits off the ground and lands right beside me. Shit.

I hear the girl who hasn't spoken yet say. My eyes start filling with tears again. A furry paw makes it's way into view. Followed by her face then-

"GAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

-then a scream.