Chapter 39 - Drained

(POV Holden)

DRAINED. I felt so drained as I rolled on the other side of the bed. It feels like all of my energy and life force were depleted after this heart-pumping episode. Hinihingal ako na nakatitig sa puting kisame. Sinubukan ko alalahanin ang mga nangyari, pero tila manhid ang utak ko at ang katawan ko.

"Let me go, Helena. Let me go before I begin to hate you," mahina ko na sabi sa kanya.

It seems na kahit anong gawin ni Helena, hindi ko magawang magalit sa kanya. She organized the executions of those women who were connected to me. I should be disgusted and hateful towards her, but it seems that I can overlook all of her faults.

"No, I can't do that Holden. I tried that with Harland, I set him free when I saw him with other girls. Masaya na ko na mahalin siya sa malayo, pero iniwan naman niya ako for good."

"You let my brother go? That is an unselfish act, very highly unlikely from you."

"Minahal ko si Harland, but not as much as I love you! Holden, I was so attracted to you when I first saw your picture sa phone ni Aunt Zara. You look so similar to Harland in so many ways."

"And I remind me so much of my brother," I said with confirmation.

"Yes, I will not deny that. This vile attempt to make you mine, to own you, I never felt this with Harland. I found myself stalking you online. Every comment, every reaction in your social media account, lahat 'yon dumaan sa kamay ko. I know there is something wrong with me, but I found my world revolving around you. I think about you all the time and I am no longer comfortable if I don't see any updates about you. That's why I decided to move here."

"That's crazy, Helena."

"This hunger to be with you is consuming me. I was jealous of those girls who are close to you. I even asked Alexey to investigate them."

"And you asked him to kill those girls."

"Yes! Because I want your attention for myself. They want you back in their lives, Holden. I can't allow that! My deranged mind can't take it!"

"So you are conscious that you have an unsound mind, bereft of reason. Is that what you are saying?"

"I am well aware that there is something wrong with me. It feels right, Holden. My cravings to be with you, my desire to protect you, I know that I am doing this for you, but seeing you in pain made me think twice."

A psycho who knows that she is psycho.

Buong akala ko, Helena developed an obsession with my brother, an erotomania. But I guess I was wrong. Her obsession commenced when she met me. I set off her demented obsession.

"Talk to a doctor, Helena. Hindi normal na ipag-utos ng isang tao ang pagpatay dahil lang sa sinasabi mong obsession. Hindi gawain ng taong nasa matino na kaisipan ang mga ginawa mo. I can talk to Detective Duran and explained what happened. You have to face criminal trial, you and Alexey. This may be hard at first, but that is the best course to fix this."

Helena will possibly be incarcerated for life. She can use insanity defense, but I highly doubt that the court will allow it. Crime of passion is also out of the picture as she seems to be aware of everything. She premeditated everything from the start.

"Do you want this, Holden? For me to pay for all my crimes?"

Gusto ko nga ba na makulong si Helena? Gusto ko nga ba na tuluyan siyang mawala sa akin?

No, I want to take her hand and go to a country with no extradition. We can both live our fucking lives as fugitives, away from everyone we know.

Damn, if only my conscience will not kill me, I will do this for her...