006

A WEEK passed, and Lian returned to her training. It was tougher than she thought that she almost gave up on the first day. Her body pain didn't come back, but the quitting idea was lurking in her mind all the time. The unsatisfied trainers who keep scolding her are not good mentally. But whenever that idea came she tried to ease it by thinking about Jacxo, her unexpected inspiration. She couldn't just live like a prisoner towards that happy ending, or her story will be lame and no one would even dare to read that book. Going outside, helping the shelter's survivors was way better than staying stagnant in one place. And that motivation brought her to the final day of the training.

"I'll tell the head that we should go together because we are roomies." Clay wiggled away from her blanket after seeing Lian in her white shirt, the bottom part of it was tucked under blue jeans, and her hair was neatly tied ponytail.

Clay passed her training that time Lian got sick. It was easy for her since she made herself ready, she'd done the research and kept in mind not to injure herself again by avoiding flaunting. She couldn't help but show off on her first try because she got rejected immediately after volunteering and it kinda hurt her ego.

Lian turned at her, "Yeah, If—I passed," she shrugged. Right now her gut was in a whirlpool of excitement and anxiety.

What if I failed?

Shelter 3,Training Hall

Shelter 3,
Training Hall

"Listen up! I will now proceed to call out your names, and I expect you to maintain the line as I do so. Prepare yourselves to move out accordingly!" Sergeant de Luna's voice echoed inside the hall. He was holding a paper with a list of names.

"I require your immediate presence near the bench when I call out your name! Fall in and stand ready for my command!" he continued pointing to the right side.

The trainees stood in their parade rest position and remained motionless. Lian fidgeted her toes underneath her shoes, she was anxious for an unsure reason. Slowly the names were revealed trainees on every line compressed closer and her anxiety rose even more. After the 3rd name was called, Srgnt. de Luna rested his hand with paper at his back, hinting that he already mentioned everyone on the list. Four of them remained standing in front of him forming a new line, and Lian was one of them.

"The remaining people in front fail." He said sternly.

"You can't do better than that? How can you survive life if you're too weak?" Lieutenant Kim spoke while pacing forward. Her piercing gaze darted on each of them.

"The 3 of you can try again but Ms. Lane, I'm sorry we think it is best for you to just stay as one of the civilians." Sargent de Luna faced Lian.

She remained still, chin up while processing everything. Tears were misting her eyes, but she recalled them saying that crying if for weak so she stifled it, gulping the lump forming in her throat. No sooner it got worst. Try again, was the first comfort word she thought but it faded when Sergeant de Luna added that she was prohibited to join the training. She felt like she was being stabbed both in front and back.