Chapter two

The gray wolf gazed at her with piercing yellow eyes. Not a single hint at how she did could be portrayed through them. The white wolf only hoped for the best, though. Her lead was lowered in respect to the Alpha, her eyes avoiding the Alpha's gaze.

The white wolf glanced around the camp, gazing at the many wolves who were pausing in their tasks to see what would happen between the two differently colored wolves.

Some were whispering to each other while others just paused for one second before continuing their daily duties. The white wolf's eyes went back to the dirt on the ground.

What is he thinking? She wondered with nervous movements from her ears. Her heart pounded within her chest. She took a couple of deep breaths to soothe her nerves.

The gray Alpha gazed at her with a serious look.

"Is this your catch?" The Alpha wonders, putting a paw on the now-cold rabbit.

The white wolf shyly nodded her head. "Yes, it is." Her nerves caused her to bend the back two leg. Her front legs straightened to where her haunches were exposed to the air around them. The gray wolf sniffed at the dead rabbit. Then, he bent his head down further, snatching part of the rabbit's haunch in his jaw. He ripped it and started to chew.

He slowly chewed the delicate piece of meat, glaring at the white wolf with disdain. He seemed to be satisfied about her catch, though. He swiftly dipped his head. "You've earned your name, young wolf. I would watch yourself if I were you, though. One tiny mistake, and you could end up pack less. You wouldn't want that now, would you?" The Alpha wondered with a slight bark of amusement.

"N-no, Alpha. No I wouldn't. I promise you my loyalty is to your pack only. I'd never betray the wolves who saved me!" The white wolf barked, leaning her head and front legs to the ground in submission.

The white wolf locked eyes with her Alpha. The Alpha's eyes were pleased.

The gray wolf barked something at her. "I am pleased to see that you are becoming a part of this pack, but..." The light gray wolf trailed off.

"What? What is it Alpha?" The white wolf wondered. Does it have something to do with betrayal once more?

Alpha's expression changed. "It's nothing." He quickly dismissed, bending his head to continue eating the rabbit. "We shall have your naming ceremony tonight before our midnight howl." He informed her.

The nameless wolf nodded her head once again. "Of course Alpha," she barked in disappointment. She was expecting to get her name right away, not have it delayed until their moon howl.

She backed up, and then approached the Omega. She was never told his real name. He was just called Omega, and always had mange all over his fur.

The dirty-and-dark gray wolf approached her with a pleased look on his face. His pleasure was all that she needed. As long as the Omega was proud of her, she knew that she did well.

The Omega leaned over to her and gave her a little nuzzle. "I'm so proud of you, white wolf. You really are starting to fit in." He woofed.

The white wolf got embarrassed by the praise from the older wolf. "Thanks, but I haven't exactly found my place. Alpha still hates me." She barked, pulling her head away from her gray guardian. "I am sure you are fitting in more than you may think, white wolf. Alpha is just a bit...strict with outsiders joining the ranks." Omega informed her, making her tip her head in confusion.

"A bit strict with outsiders joining? Has any other wolf like me ever joined?" The white wolf asked. She has never been told much of this pack. All she's been told is the Alpha is extremely strict when it comes to roles.

The gray wolf stiffed when she mentioned that.

"Oh. No, no, no! You know how the outside wolves are sometimes: tricky and greedy." The gray Omega seemingly corrected himself.

"I-I guess that makes sense. You and I both know I'm not like those...rogues." She barked in a whisper.

The gray wolf in front of her sighed. "I suppose you are nothing like those greedy buffoons, but there have been, you know, wolves who have been taking advantage of a pack in order to receive free food. He's just looking out for his pack."

I know, the white wolf thought. But I'm not a rogue wolf. Only a Snatcher would take an advantage of their pack. Only they would become rogue wolves. I'm not like any of those wolves. Am I?

The white wolf only nodded her head, keeping the stuff in her brain. It's where it belongs. She thought.

"Anyways come with me, White Wolf, into my den. I need to speak with you. There has been sightings of a red wolf around here, and it's worrying me." The gray Omega woofed at her, waving his tail to point at a cave near the edge of the camp that was covered in broken vines and dust.

The two padded over to the den together, pushing past the multiple vines that were the entrance to the den. The white wolf blew some air on the vines that irritated her face.

The gray wolf sat down next to a nest of feathers.

"Sit with me, White Wolf." Barked the Omega. The White Wolf blinked as she padded over to settle down next to the mangy wolf. Curious, she asked, "Why is a sighting of a red wolf so concerning?" She wondered, cringing. She remembered talking to such a wolf. Was this the wolf they were speaking of?

The gray wolf glanced at her with concern before shaking his head. "It's concerning because this wolf...he's an enemy of the pack. He is looking to destroy our pack." He barked at her.

"Why does he want to destroy the pack?" The White Wolf asked, knowing she was sticking her nose where it didn't belong.

The gray wolf flinched.

What is he not telling me?! How come I'm not told anything?! The White Wolf pondered with a growl trapped within her throat.

"It's a long story. I'll tell you when you're older." The gray wolf told her.

"Can you tell me once I have my name?" The white wolf pressed, irrigation pressing into her skin. The gray wolf chuckled. "Eager to learn our pack's past I see. Unfortunately, you will have to wait far longer than just tonight to know about it. It's just...hard to talk about."

The White Wolf's ears flicked in annoyance. She really wanted to know about it.

I guess I won't question him about their past. I've only been here for around about twelve moon cycles. The White Wolf thought as her face twisted with an assortment of different emotions.

"What is this wolf's name?" She wondered.

She remembered a specific noticeable detail about the red wolf that had growled at her earlier. He had a spot on his back where there was a noticeable gray coloring.

The gray Omega then barked with such a somber voice. "His name? It is Rakoshokch." The White Wolf then looked into his eyes, seeing he felt betrayed.

Authors note: Here's the second chapter of Howler. I actually enjoy writing this, so I hope you can spread the news, vote, and comment on this please. It would mean so much. Thank you.