Prologue

"Did you hear anything about the invites yet?"

Rolling my eyes, I stare blankly at my Mother and raise an eyebrow to indicate my distress about the topic. "No. I much rather hear nothing about them anyway."

I watch her knuckles turn white as she grips the marble counter on the island, blue eyes with flecks of sunburnt orange eying me down. "This is a chance for you to find your partner, Lucy! Have kids, grow up in a wealthy family, support me as I become older."

I sigh, ignoring her comment about money and growing old. "I'm not interested in having a cocky, ignorant guy order me around." She frowns, "Yet."

Her hand reaches out and grips mine in comfort, trying to soothe my discomfort of a disloyal man ruining my future. "You just have to find the right one. He's out there, tru-"

I slide off my seat and remove my hand from her warm one, interrupting her. "I'll talk to you later mom. I have work in an hour that I need to get ready for."

Sprinting to the stairs, I yell out an 'I love you' before going up to my room to get ready for the day, my mothers gentle voice reaching my ears as she yells the words back.

I grin at our relationship and shake my head, trying to fathom how exactly we handle each other's personality and still say I love you at the end. As much as I hate talking about it, I resemble to my father the most. His genes overpowered mothers which resulted in a sassy, emotional female that doesn't know how to fix her own problems. Me.

Only I can't resemble myself to him now. Stupid rouges were able to kill him during an attack years ago, his ability to fight growing weaker and weaker as he grew older. Not only that, he was alone during battle with sixteen skanky fuckers ripping him to shreds. Poor guards weren't able to get there in time to help defend.

It's still a mystery on how it even happened. My father was a warrior, a strong one too. There should have been another guard with him during patrols but he was left alone. Not only am I cautious of the situation, I have a feeling it was planned to remove him from this world. But by who?

Entering my bedroom, I halt when a cool breeze connects with my bare skin and creates goosebumps on my arms. The window is weirdly open which makes me glance around my room for any lurking danger.

"Hello?" I squeak, taking small steps toward the center of my fairly large room as my fingers shake at my sides.

"Boo."

I scream, running for my bed and chucking a pillow at the intruder when getting one in my grasp. They laugh and swiftly move out of the way of the spiraling pillow, snorting uncontrollably at my reaction. "Really Lilah?!"

She snorts again and clutches her stomach, falling to the floor in a heap of laughter. "You should have seen your fac-" Lilah snorts again.

"Shut up you twat." I groan, sitting cross legged on my bed as I watch her. "Why are you here?"

"I don't know. It was 'scare Lucy day' I guess." She jokes while smirking wickedly at me, adding a quick little wink to the affect.

I sprawl out on my bed and grab a pillow to cover my face, groaning in it loudly to show my dislike of the situation.

"You got an invite?!"

Jerking up and glaring at Lilah, I aimlessly throw another pillow. "Goddess." I mumble. "Lilah, I don't want one and don't have o-"

She holds up a delicately crafted gold envelope in her hand, my name written in exquisite cursive on the front to show who it was written for. "What is that?" I question, words barely a whisper.