Stay with me; dance with me

By: alecmagnus
"Um, I already have a date, sorry."

The words slip out before she can stop them, and Amber is sure the bewildered look in Reed's eyes is mirrored in hers as well.

"Oh, okay," Reed says, breaking the ensuing awkward silence first. "Who is it, if you mind me asking?"

"Ummm..." Amber panics as all her brain cells seem to die on the spot. Why couldn't she think of an appropriate answer? "Uh, I gotta head to class, but I'll let you know later, okay?" Turning around, she speeds away, praying that Reed won't catch up. 

--

"Ambs, why didn't you tell me you already had a date to formal?" 

She's abruptly jolted out of her reverie as TJ slides into the seat across from her, stealing some of her fries. Cyrus, who had been staring intently at his phone, looks up in interest at this new piece of information. 

"You have a date? Since when? And how come you didn't tell us?" He asks, leaning into TJ's shoulder.

Amber groans. "That already got out? Does everyone think I have a date now?"

"Well, yes," TJ shrugs. "Sorry, sis."

"I don't actually have a date yet," she admits. "I only said that because Reed asked me and I really don't want to go with him so I panicked and made something up."

"You made it up -?" Cyrus' voice carries across the cafeteria, and Amber cringes. 

"Not so loud!" she hisses, looking around to see if anyone had overheard. Turning back to her brother and his boyfriend, she sighs. "Now I have to find someone who can believably fake date me."

"Who's fake dating who?" Andi's voice chimes in as the girl arrives, placing her lunch tray down on the table. "Sorry I'm late, guys."

TJ fills her in. "My dumbass of a sister-" "Hey!" Amber's indignant voice interrupts, and TJ chuckles, "told Reed she already has a date to formal. Only she doesn't actually, and we need to find someone who's willing to be her fake date."

"Dang," Andi says sympathetically, munching on a fry. Amber can't help but admire her outfit today; Andi's donning an adorable rainbow jacket, and has some trendy butterfly clips in her hair. Why does she always have to be so cute? 

Unfortunately for her, TJ, who happens to know about her big fat lesbian crush on Andi, catches her staring. A sly grin spreads across his face, and Amber internally groans. TJ's wild antics never end well.

"I have an idea," TJ says. "Andi, you don't have a date either, right?" When Andi shakes her head, he continues. "You can be Amber's fake date!"

"TJ!" Amber hisses. "You shouldn't ask-"

"Actually, that's not a bad idea," Andi interrupts. Amber stiffens, but she doesn't notice and carries on. "It would be believable enough."

"It would?" Amber says, as casually as she can muster, her cheeks burning bright red. Is her crush that obvious?

"I mean, we're friends, right?" Andi clarifies, and Amber feels her heart drop to the bottom of her stomach. As if she needed any reminding about what they were, and always would be. "Reed would buy it, at least."

"Y-yeah," Amber stammers. "I guess that's okay with me, if you're down."

"Sure!" Andi exclaims, and Amber tries not to read too much into the girl's enthusiasm. 

As lunch ends, and the four head to their separate afternoon classes, Amber pulls TJ to the side.

"What the hell!" she smacks her brother. "Why would you suggest Andi when you know how I feel about her?"