Chapter 2: The Next Generation

"It's good to meet you, Takanori Yuuto-san."

"Likewise, Mikazuchi-sensei."

Just as I was about to partake in the entrance exam, I got pulled aside by a man named Mikazuchi Ryuzaki-sensei. After a brief introduction, he lead me into a separate corridor that was permitted for staff members only.

I could feel everyone else's eyes in the waiting room pierce me as I got taken away. While I had a calm appearance, inside I was feeling nervous. Being ousted like this can mean a variety of things, but it's usually bad.

I followed Mikazuchi-sensei to a separate room that was estranged from everyone else. As we entered, I took a seat across from him, still wracking my brain on what I could've done to end up in this situation.

I was like everyone else, a freshly graduated middle school student who got an invitation and wanted to enter the prestigious GEN Academy.

Did I do something wrong while in the waiting room?

I doubt it, since I was one of the most quiet people there. As everyone socialised, I had difficulties even making conversation with the person next to me.

Then, perhaps they've pulled me aside because of a special talent?

In my dreams, maybe. I'm about as average as a person gets. I have zero special skills or qualifications, and my only major achievement was being captain of the "Go Home Club".

I closed my eyes and took a deep breath. I hope I'm not in trouble.

"Welcome to your entrance exam." Mikazuchi-sensei said.

"...eh?"

I stared dumbfounded at the grinning Mikazuchi-sensei.

"Takanori-san, unlike everyone else, you have been appointed a different entrance exam."

"I'm sorry... but I think you have the wrong person."

"No, it's you that we were asked to perform a different entrance exam on."

Really? Me? It's hard to believe it. Where's the hidden cameras? Let's get this sick prank over with.

"Mikazuchi-sensei. May I ask why I'm doing something different to everyone else?"

"There's no particular reason. In fact, while everyone else is undertaking the formal examination which will last hours, you'll probably be done within less than an hour."

Less than an hour, huh? Then perhaps my entrance exam is a heavily condensed version of the five exams I was supposed to take. Maybe it's a super hard version set-up to make me fail.

Well, I had a slew of other back-up high schools in my mind in case I would fail. Setsuna Academy and Heiwa Academy were my next top picks.

"Takanori-san. Your entrance exam is to Cardfight me."

Mikazuchi-sensei placed his deck on the table, and my eyes widened.

"Is that so?"

I took out my own deck, and placed it on the table. Mikazuchi-sensei's smile became a sinister smirk.

"Yes. A simple Cardfight will determine your future at this academy. However... there were a few extra conditions were set-up. If you win against me, you'll become King of GEN Academy. But if you lose, you'll be relegated as the worst student in the entire school. How does that sound?"

My jaw dropped. Mikazuchi-sensei laughed, crossing his arms.

"Unbelievable, isn't it? That a guy like you could become King with a single fight. Regardless, once this is over, you'll be accepted into GEN Academy 100%. This is probably one of the easiest exams you've ever done in your life, right?"

Unable to say anything, my head was trying to process the fact this was happening to me. I shook my head, denying this was reality.

This has to be a prank. This has to be a cruel joke Mikazuchi-sensei is playing on me. This has to be a fever dream. I'm never eating cup ramen before going to bed ever again.

I pinched my hand under the table, hoping I'd be thrust wide awake to the sound of mom going "Yuu-kun, wake up~" and planting a kiss on my cheek.

But with no results, I had to accept what the cards have dealt me.

I steeled myself, and picked up my deck. The merit of this exam is 100% acceptance into GEN Academy, no matter what. Being the best or the worst doesn't matter, because I get to be admitted into my dream school.

"Alright. That sounds like a fine challenge to me. I'm going to ace this entrance exam with flying colours!"

"That's the spirit. I'm not going to hold back either. Let's see if you'll become the King, or tumble to the bottom!"

With such extreme stakes on the line, it was like I was betting my future life on a coin flip.

"Stand up... Vanguard!"