Chapter 4: Everyone's Daily Lives

On my way to figuring out where my dorm was, I had opened a map of GEN Academy on my phone. It seems the island was divided into roughly five parts, one for each core nation.

I had learned shortly after the entrance exam that only the Royalty were in Dust Purple. The remaining five nations, Stark White, Ultima Yellow, Megiddo Blue, Zoa Green and Drachma Red made up the rest of the students. These made up the five major areas, and each dorm was in their respective areas.

In the northwest were the Stark White dorms, and in the northeast were the Ultima Yellow dorms. At the east and west of the island were the two malls, named Higashi Mall and Nishi Mall respectively. In the southwest were the Megiddo Blue dorms, and in the southeast were the Zoa Green dorms. In the south, at the back of the island, were the Drachma Red dorms.

It was a pain that our dormitory was the furthest away from school, but on the other hand plenty of transport was available to be used. Just like a normal city, there were buses, trains and taxis available for students. Plus, when we reached eighteen, we could get our driver licences. If there you made friends with a kind 3rd Year, they might offer to drive you around.

But I decided to take my time and walk to the dorms instead. Even though it was the furthest away, the dorms were one of Drachma Red's first buildings upon entering the area. It might take awhile, but I wanted to get to know the route to get there and enjoy the scenery of the school.

Halfway through my journey, I decided to pop into one of the convenience stores that were open en-route. It was quiet and it seemed no one else was here. The lone cashier was walking around, counting stock on items. He looked bored out of his mind.

As I wandered around, wondering what I should purchase for lunch, I saw something unique that caught my eye. There was a shelf of items with a large label saying: "Free items. You can only take up to three per month.". On the ceiling was a security camera that was locked on the shelf. It seemed to be a criminal deterrent of sorts.

I began digging through the available things, and most of it was daily necessities like toothpaste, shower gel and deodorant. There were a few cans of food too.

Why would anyone ever use this poor looking shelf? Sure, it was free, but we had 100,000 points to spend. Feasibly, you could burn through everything at the end of the month, and be forced to take such an item, but the things on offer were already dirt cheap.

As a test, I decided to take a bottle of shower gel, along with a carton of milk from the freezer, and pay for it. The cashier behind the counter quickly scanned my items and placed them into a bag. Taking out my phone, I scanned it over the metal plate on the desk, and a notification regarding the confirmation of my bought items popped up on my screen.

Thanking the cashier and taking the bag of items, I looked at the online receipt on my phone. The carton of milk costed 100 points, and the shower gel was free as expected. However, a line of text was underneath it saying "you can only purchase up to two more free items this month". I decided to check my balance after. There were 99,900 points left in my account, which lined up with my most recent purchase.

Nothing suspicious. This school is really generous and lenient.

When I reached the dormitory, I entered through the front door and walked up to the reception. Sitting behind the desk was an old lady with a fierce looking face.

"Good afternoon to you, boy." She said. "I'm Fumio Nazuna, the dorm manager. And you are, boy?"

"I'm... Takanori Yuuto. I'm here to collect my luggage and get my room key." I placed my ticket onto the counter. Fumio took it and examined it.