Chapter 8: The Worst One

The week following the school revelation was one of the hardest we've had to endure.

The class's unity had been completely ruined.

All the other students in the school looked at us with disgust. The only sympathisers we had were the other Drachma Red students, but even then they were aloof as well. Everyone else didn't want to be near us at all.

This proved especially hard on the sociable people like Matsushita and Sakigamiya, as they were quickly evicted from their usual friend group that they hung out with, just for being E Class students.

Any friends we made from other classes quickly ignored us. It was ingrained by the school that playing with E Class students was a bad thing. The social pressure to not be associated with us was thick and hung in the air like smog. It was also easier to ignore us if you didn't even know us in the first place. The only things they knew about E Class students was that they were bad people.

Those who did know us deeper than surface level was pressured to cut all connections with us, even if they didn't think we were that bad. Partly out of fear of judgment, and partly because by associating with us they became garbage too. My chances of ever contacting Suzune ever again went down the drain.

The discrimination didn't stop there. In the morning, me and Nora were walking to class together, minding our own business, when suddenly a couple of D Class students began harassing him. They followed us, taking turns flicking the back of his ears in an attempt to make his glasses fall off.

"Knock it off." I said, looking at the two boys. They looked like the delinquent types.

"We're not doing anything wrong. Just going to class." One of the boys said. He had glasses on, which made him look more respectable than his accomplice, who was a boy wearing a beanie and had blonde dyed hair.

Nora shot a timid glance at me. I gave him a look that said "it'll be alright". Even though it was something minute as ear flicking, I could feel the fear resonating off Nora. The idea of being targeted on purpose would be scary for anyone.

As we continued to walk, they continued to flick the back of his ears. They laughed to each other behind our backs. Things finally escalated when the boy with the beanie ran up to Nora and slapped the side of his head, making his glasses fly off and land on the floor.

"Ha ha ha!" The boy with the glasses guffawed with laughter.

As I shot my head around to tell them to go somewhere else, a calm female voice stopped me from doing so.

"Are you alright?"

Coming over to Nora, who looked like he was about to cry, was Hina. She picked his glasses from the floor and blew on it a couple times, handing it back to him.

"Um..." Nora hung his head low as he took the glasses. Slipping them on, he nodded meekly.

"It doesn't look like you're alright... what did the boy do to you?" She asked, stepping in between us and the D Class students.

"The hell is a Royalty doing helping a Red?" The beanie boy laughed. "Let's go, Nakajima."

The boy with the glasses, Nakajima, nodded. They tried going around Hina, but she stepped in front of them after Nora finished his timid explanation.

"Both of you should feel ashamed of yourselves." She declared.

Nora perked his head. I raised an eyebrow. Didn't the school promote harassment of E Class students? Why is she helping us?

"The hell are you talking about? We're just going to class." Nakajima said.

"Out of the way." Beanie boy said.