Chapter 1: The Beginning

This is a story on like no other. This is the story of a very pretty bird who proved that there is no truer love than from those who are by your side.

Many years ago, during one chilly fall morning a baby hatchling was born. It was ugly as most birds are when they are born. This particular bird was a little raven. Which is a problem because the villagers hate them for eating their seeds and corn. The mother raven would often leave the nest and go scarging for food, like worms and little bugs. It wasn't easy feeding the hungry hatchlings. Even with the help of her mate. Things where always to quick.

At three weeks of age the baby raven did not look so ugly anymore and was better looking than his other siblings. The little ravens were growing ever so fast and demanded more food. One afternoon both mother and father went out in search for food but they never returned. From all of the three little ravens that were in the nest, only one hopped out of the nest and fell to the ground. The little bird was still too young to fly so it hopped it's way to a small farm that was nearby. The little raven discovered seeds buried in the ground. He dug them out and began to have a feast. Suddenly the sound a barking was heard nearby.

The little raven lifted his head and saw two large brown labrador dogs running his way. The raven tried to flap its wings put it couldn't fly yet. It tried hopping away but it was no use. The dogs had catched him.The dogs did not bit him but srached him. Feathers were scattered around the floor as the dogs had their fun. A few moments later a six year old little girl came looking for her father's dogs. She found the injured little bird under the paws of the younger dog named Riley. The girl pushed the dog off the little bird and took it inside.

The little girl who rescued him was named Rose. She had beautiful honey color hair and a very soft touch. She cared for him and healed the scratches that were around his little body. The farmer didn't see the point in saving an animal that would only pester them during the planting seasons. But his daughter thought otherwise. She believed that Raven or not. This little creature deserves to live and that they didn't have the right to kill him. The little girl made a deal with her father that once the bird could fly. It should be set free. The child named the little bird Diaval.

He recovered quickly from his injury but he would forever have nasty scars around his body. As soon as he was back to health, he was learning how to fly. Of course he fell many times but he kept on trying until he was able to fly. He soon learned to fly gracefully but stayed with his new foster home for a month until the farmer decided that it was time for Diaval to leave. Diaval rested on the girl's shoulder as she walked into the cornfield where she had found him. She stopped and Diaval flew to the farmers extended hand. The farmer held the bird to his daughter and she petted him for what had seemed for the last time. Tears fell down her one rosey cheeks. Diaval rubbed his beak against her shoulder as a way of saying goodbye. The farmer lifted his arm high and Diaval flew off into the woods. A year passed and Diaval was still on his own. He flew above castle and farms, explore the world around him. He was a master at stealing food from other birds and from humans as well. Diaval was invited many times to join an unkindness with many of his own kind but he refused because he wanted to be alone. For being only a year old it wasn't odd because he hasn't reached sexual maturity until he is 3 years old. Once he reached that age then he will be interested in being with his own kind and having a mate of his own. He slept in a different tree every night but it was always hard to keep warm in winter time. He stayed in a castle of the forbidden mountain during the entire winter.