Chapter 8: Gift

The day of the Corination had finally arrived. The court yeard was full of knights. The throne room decorated with fresh flowers. Aurora was dancing with excitement. She wore a light pink dress with a long golden cloak. She waited for Maleficent by the stairs. Maleficent arrived shortly, dress in a stunning black dress. She knew that this was an important day for Aurora but she couldn't hid the fact that she was excited to see her raven once again. He had arrived at the kingdom late the other night. He was staying in one of the rooms but Aurora forbade her from seeing him. Telling her that he needed his space and that there would be plenty of time to catch up with him during the celebration.

Aurora awaits the arrival of her crown. It had been over 5 minutes and Diaval was nowhere to be found. The light dimmed a little and the musicians played softly. Erika and Diaval came down the stairs playing silver flutes lightly. The wind from their lips made beautiful music that sweated the event. They walked side by side with Gin in the middle, holding a golden crown in the middle. People bowed as the passed by, they walked slowly towards Aurora. She remembered hearing him playing that song to her growing up. She smiled and turned to her Godmother, who's face softened at seeing her mate after 2 years. He was even more handsome than she remembered. He wore a black jacket with silver claw clasps and black pants with black boots. On his left shoulder was a dark gray cape that had back feathers. What bothered her was the crown on his head. Why was her Diaval wearing a crown? The woman stood with him had honey color hair and she wore a light blue dress with a small silver crown. Maleficent smirked at the little girl who wore a light green dress. Who was she and why did she look at Diaval most of the time?

They came to a stop exactly 8 feet away from the throne and bowed. Aurora couldn't contain herself and went to Diaval without a second thought. She embraced him and he welcomed her into his protective embrace as he had missed her ever since his sudden departure. " No matter what others might say, Diaval. You will always be my father", were the silent words that Aurora had said to him in a small whisper. That moment meant more to Diaval than anything. He had always wanted a hatchling and this human child that he raised was the next best thing. As family is about who you love and not just who you are related to. He guided her towards Maleficent with Gin not far behind. Looked at his mate and bowed his head without saying a word. He looked to the people, " We are gathered here today to witness the crowning of a Queen". Diaval looked to his mate and they both placed their hands on the crown. His fingers lightly brushing hers as they lifted the crown from it's soft rest. United, they placed the crown on Aurora as the crowed cheered. " All Hail Aurora!", everyone bowed as the young Queen looked upon her people. 

During the celebration Maleficent eyed Diaval, as he walked around the room. She did not like the way other women looked at Diaval, with a look of desire. He was hers! But then she notices the way he talks with the woman he came in with. No doubt the same woman that she saw him with 2 years ago. The woman playfully teased him, playfully slapped his shoulder and joked around with him. When Erika looked at him, it was not in any way romantic, nor was it full of longing or desire. She saw Diaval as no more than a brother and a good friend. Could she have perhaps misinterpreted the situation 2 years ago?

During the middle of the night she lost sight of Diaval. She looked among all the people but he wasn't there. Then, she felt a light pull from her dress. It was Gin, " Follow me". Maleficent allowed the child to lead her into a room. Upon stepping into the room, the doors were closed behind her and surprisingly locked. Gin was told to lock her into that room and hopeful things would go well. The door knob burned her, it was iron. She looked around and saw a lot of books, it must be a library. She walked around and from the darkness, she saw a light. She walked to it and found Diaval sitting in a chair. He was deep into his reading that he didn't notice that someone else was in the room with him. He was reading a black covered book that was written in 1877 by English author Anna Sewell, Black Beauty. Maleficent took a step closer, the floor creaked under her. He looked up to find Maleficent standing there. He just kept looking at her and if waiting for her to do something. They stayed like this for a full minute until he closed his book. He walked passed her as be went to the shelf to put his book away, " Hello Maleficent". She absorbed him carefully, " Hello pretty bird". He blushed a little at the complement that was hit his way.

The first thing that escaped her mouth was an apology. She should have never allowed her jealousy to get the better of her. As she explained, Diaval listen. She had looked for him and missed him so much. This much he knew, he had missed her too. A tear went down her cheek and Diaval quickly brush it away with his thumb. She looked up at him in sadness, his eyes where caring and his face softened. He held her close to him in a loving embrace. After all she did, he still cared for her. She rested her head on his shoulder, remembering every night they spent together. But there was still one thing she needed to know. A question that she's been asking herself since he left. A question that has been nipping at her soul for the last 2 year. Did he still love her? There was only one way to find out for sure. She pulled him down for a kiss, it was gentle at first but slowly worked it's way into a passionate kiss. His lips searched for hers and his hands played with her hair. She was thirsty for him and longed to be connected with him once again. His affection did not lie, he did love her and she shouldn't have doubted him. Ravens are loyal birds after all, they mate for life.

The hours spent in that library seemed longing but they didn't seem to mind. As long as they were together, being locked in didn't feel so bad. He told her about his life in the last 2 years. His adventure on the road and of the daughter that he adopted. Gin was a ill hatching, from the every beginning. From being left behind for who knows how long is bound to have serous consequences. The number one rule of bird parenting is, ever leave your hatchlings unwarm during the first stages of life. She had developed breathing problems that often affect her during her sleep and would only worsen as she grows. Maleficent assured him that there is no way to heal hurt but that he should enjoy the time he has with her.

That same night, Diaval carried Gin into the Moors with Maleficent. While Aurora and Erika sleeped at the castle. Gin was fast asleep in her father's arms. Her dark hair hangged from her father's shoulder. Maleficent smiled at the child in her mate's arms. She reminded her of herself when she was young. In both spirit and sence of curiosity. Gin would spend the little bit of life that she had in the Moors. Where she would be happy and free.