Chapter 10: I Promise

Diaval wanted to share his world with his mate and what better time, than when Aurora asked them to meet the in-laws. Maleficent was not happy with the idea of Aurora marrying due to the fact that humans are unfaithful, unlike her raven. They got on horses and road to the west. Phillip's kingdom was only a day ride away from the Moors and it was arranged that they would stay there for a few nights.

They road for hours, only taking a few shots along the way. On one of these stops Aurora took longer than usual and Maleficent decided to take a moment for herself at the river. She had no idea how to interact with "in-laws" as Diaval had called them. She wanted to make a good impression for Aurora but she needed help. She looked down at the water watching her reflection, " Hello". She smiled as she said Hello, her teeth perfectly white. Diaval stood on the other side, looking unconvinced, " Try with a little less fang". She glanced at him softly and smiled again but this time hiding her sharp points. He looked at her and it was batter. " Try the greeting", be put his hands on his hips as he waited. " How very kind of you to invite me this evening", she said in a deep voice. Diaval knew that tone was everything and that, that tone wouldn't do. He looked at her with his hands still on his hips, "Remember it's not a threat". She tried again but this time used a much softer tone. He smiled at her, it was better. " Try with a curtsy", he removed his hands from his hips and demonstrated. Upon noticing her glance of disapproval, " We can skip that part". He smiled at her in a sweet way. She smiled back at him but then he noticed the worry that she so much wanted to hide. But he knows her better and she should know by now that she can't hide her emotions from him. He tossed his head a little to the side, " She really love that boy you know. You're doing her a great kindness". She repeated his words in her head but one stood out more, " kindness".

They resumed their trip and passed their first village. The people screaming and hid as they passed by. Maleficent was indeed feared in all the kingdoms but the people relaxed upon seeing Aurora. The people's reaction to Maleficent made him remember the first time he arrived in Zel. They were tarrifed of him and he was only a bird.

Night fell upon them as they reached the fifth village. Turns out that this little village responded to no kingdom. It was an independent one. They decided to rest there for the night because they still had 3 more miles to go. The village welcomed them and did not mind Maleficent. For they knew how it felt to be unexpected by society for they were people who had magic in their blood.

A young couple were being united by the village elder. It was some type of wedding ceremony that everyone in the village witnessed. The couple repeated the following vows.

"Ye are Blood of my Blood, and Bone of my Bone.
I give ye my Body, that we Two might be One.
I give ye my Spirit, 'til our Life shall be Done.

You cannon possess me for I belong to myself.
But while we both wish it, I give you that which is mine to give.
You cannon command me, for I am a free creature.
But I shall serve you in those ways you require.
The honeycomb will taste sweeter coming from your hand.

I pledge that yours will be the only name I cry aloud in the dead of night
and the eyes into which I smile in the morning.
I pledge to you the first bite of my meat and the first drink from my cup.
I pledge to you my living and my dying, each equally in your care.
I shall be a shield for your back and you for mine.
I shall not slander you, nor you me.
I shall honour you above all others, and when we quarrel we shall do so in private.
Tell no strangers our grievances.

This is my vow to you."

The couple's hands were united and blinded together with a vine. "You are bound one to the other. With a tie not easy to break. Take the time of bind. Before the final vows are made. To learn.To grow. In wisdom and love. That your union will be strong. That your love will last. In this life and beyond.". The elder had united many couples over the years and knew that a handfasting was the best. For it showed them how to live a happier life.

The elder noticed how Maleficent looked at Diaval who had remained in his raven form since the sun started to set. She stroked his feathers gently as he stood on her staff. She looked at him with love and care. He looked around and noticed that Aurora was signaling him to join her and a group of young women. He flew off in a hurry to her side. All the young ladies were a fuss over him. Telling him that he was a pretty bird. He transformed into a man and the comments didn't stop there. He offered to play them a song on his flute, which everyone agreed on. As Diaval played along with the rythem of the other musicians. Maleficent watched on at the celebration. After 2 long songs, Diaval joined Maleficent. They hugged each other and savored every moment spent together.

After observing their interaction, the elder stood before them. " I have been observing you two since your arrival. Will the both of you like to unite your souls", he asked in a warm tone. Maleficent was stunned by the offer, she had never thought of being wed to her pretty bird. Diaval turned to Maleficent and then back to the elder with a head tilt, " I have been by her side for almost 20 years and it's been the best 20 years of this bird's life. I have over passed the life span of a normal raven. I'm too much of a human to return to an unkindness and too much a raven to live among humans. All of this is thanks to her and my love for her, that's why I returned to her every time". He turned to her, " Maleficent. I'm just a raven. I have nothing to offer. Only my love and my protection. Will you take me as I am, a simple raven?" Her eyes soft at his words and she took his hands in hers. The elder binded their hands together. " Of course pretty bird. Only if you take me as I am, a broken fairy". They locked eyes, " You are not broken. You only think that because a human broke your heart many years ago. Even if you were broken, my love for you would be no different and I vow to be with you forever. To be the only one to keep you warm at night and to give you my life and my dying. This is my promise". Maleficent's heart melted away her passed, " You were my wings but know you are my heart. You risked your life for mine, even though it wasn't your fight. You have always returned to me, when I set you free and when I dared hit you with magic. You had every right to fly away and never return. I thought that I had lost you forever. Know I know that no matter how far you wonder, you will always return. I vow to be with you forever. To be the only one to keep you warm at night and to give you my life and my dying. This is my promise". The elder took both feathers from Diaval and Maleficent, put them together. " You are know bound one to the other. Let your souls grow in love and wisdom. That your union is strong. That your love will last in this life and beyond".

The feathers were burned in the hot fire. A love and a desire that would forever burn. Maleficent belonged to him and Diaval belonged to her. There was nothing more sweeter than the honey that dripped down her back. He spread his seed inside her and kindly kissed. She memoried ever scar and licked up every trace of honey.

This was their promise.