Chapter 14: Diaval's Lesson

Diaval and Maleficent raised their two children in the Moors. When the children were 8 weeks old, they were presented to the kingdom of Zel as future king and queen. As expected the children had magical abilities. Both had a mix of Diaval's and Maleficent's magic. The ability to shapshift like their father and the ability of magic like their mother.

When the children shapeshifted into a  raven for the first time. They were scared but their father was always there to tell them that it was ok. He tought them how fly and to survive on their own in this dangerous world. While their mother though them about magic and healing. Merrick and Shayla grew more and more as the seasons changed. It had seem just like yesterday that he had heard them cry out for the first time.

Maleficent and Diaval hugged their daughter and their son. Knowing that this day would eventually come. The day they left the Moors to become King and Queen of their own kingdom. Merrick and Shayla ruled side by side as Erika's last wishes. She had wished that Diaval would rise up to the throne but he decided to pass the crown to his offspring.

Diaval and Maleficent never aged. Despite the many years being together, they looked exactly as the day they first met. It was exactly 40 years since the first day they first met and he wanted to do something special for her. During the night they flew across the stars and landed on the high cliff, the lights of the Moors complemented the darkness. Diaval stood beside Maleficent and sang to her a song.

"Let me be your wings. Let me be your only love. Let me take you far beyond the stars" ( He bowed and extended his hand to her, she took it)

"Let me be your wings. Let me lift you high above. Everything we're dreaming of will soon be ours" ( They held each other close as they danced slowly)

"Anything that you desire, Anything at all( he looked into her eyes). Everyday I'll take you higher and I'll never let you fall" ( she smiled lovingly at him)

"Let me be your wings. Leave behind the world you know. For another world of wondrous things. Fly with me and I will be your wings" ( she put her head on his chest as she remembered everything that happened within the last 40 years)

"Heaven isn't too far.... ( Maleficent cuts him off and sings) Heaven is where you are. ( He smiles at her and they sang the last part together)Stay with me and let me be your wings".

As the weeks passed, Diaval felt weaker. His shapeshifting became harder and more painful. Until it reached to the point that his magic wouldn't respond to him anymore. His magic had faded. He knew exactly what was going on and was ready to accept his fate. He remained in his human form, knowing that if he changed to his original form that he wouldn't be able to communicate with her. Maleficent had noticed a slight change in Diaval's actions. He didn't want to go out for a first light fly anymore or didn't want to do anything that involved him changing into a raven for that matter. His hair also started to lose it's natural shine as well.

One evening, Diaval was talking to  Knotgrass, Thistlewit and Flittle by the little stream. He spoke to them about his lose of magic. As they talked, he felt that something was not right as if someone was watching them. He saw something shine from the distance and his whole body stiffened. Without a thought, he pushed the pixies to the ground behind him. He fell to the ground along with them but a cry of pain escaped his lips. Maleficent heard the whistling of the arrows as they were released, humans had entered the Moors. She found the archers quickly, green flames erupting from her fingertips to kill those who dared to try harm any creatures. Once the Moors were safe, she went to see if any of the pixies were harmed and froze.

Diaval was laying on the floor with five arrows. Maleficent's legs carried her across the short distance,"Diaval." His name left her lips as she ran to him. Gently her hands fluttering uselessly over the arrows in his body. One of her hands wrapped around the arrows closest to his heart and went to wrench it out when one of his own, paling rapidly clasped her wrist. "Don't." He whimpered weakly.

"I-I can heal you." Maleficent nodded frantically, "I can-I can heal you." She repeated. "No....no you can't." He shook his head, blood staining his lips, "N-not this time." She couldn't belive what she was hearing."I can!" She said desperately, holding the arrow tighter. Tears burned at her eyes and he began to blur the more she looked at him. "It's Alright." Diaval murmured, his hand let go of her wrist to wipe softly at a tear,"Diaval please." She whispered weakly, bringing her hand to his cheek. "It's Alright." He repeated, his voicing breaking as a few tears slipped from the corner of his eyes into his hair. He nodded, swallowing against the blood and the threatening sobs, "It's alright, Maleficent. My times has come to leave this world and it's time for you to go on without me. I lost my magic and it was only a matter of time. You have learned everything you needed to know. Now, all you need to learn is how to say goodbye. We will see each other again". Maleficent held onto him tighter, " No. You can't leave me. I don't even know if I can live without you anymore. You have done so much for me". He looked at her lovingly, his eyes burly opened, "And it was my greatest pleasure, Maleficent. In my 41 years of life. I have spent those 40 wonderful years with you. We had some good times. Along all the bad times. I love you and I will always be with you".

His's breathing became faster and even more laboured as he stared into Maleficent's eyes. Then he stopped. "No!" came the fairy's broken whisper, the raven's eyes slipped shut and his hand slackened and fell from her face. "No!" She shrieked. "Come on Diaval wake up. My beautiful raven, please!" She sobs shaking his shoulders. Diaval's body was limp and there was no steady or faltering heartbeat, nothing. Maleficent rested her forehead against his, her wings drawing up to hide them both. She cried for her only friend and true love. Once she allowed the sun to kiss his skin, his body started to disappear and turned into gold dust .The dust was carried into the air by the wind. Her wings were gone because he was her wings.

As you might have already guessed. This is not my story but the story of my mate. A simple bird that was destined to die in a cornfield that was saved by a black fae. My heart was broken by a human but he put it back together. In doing so, he gave me four children. Aurora, Gin, Shayla and Merrick. No matter that two are not of my own blood. How could I not love them? They were a part of him.

I do miss my beautiful raven very much. The way he loved me and the way he cared for me. He tought me so much but the biggest lesson that he thought me was that love comes in different forms and that there is no truer love than from those who are by your side.

I remember his warm smile, it stayed forever in my mind. I remember his scent, that forever stayed in his cloak. I remember his voice, that stayed forever in my mind.

His hands intertwined with mine again. His kiss genital and sweet as ever. Now that we are together. Nothing will ever tear us apart. For our promise was strong and reminded us that our love never ended at death.

The End