Chapter 4: Diaval's Love

The ice melted and the first signs of spring flowerished. The deers played peacefullly in the medow with their little fowns. The rabbits and skunks energed from their long winter slumber. The sound of happy chrping birds filled the air. All of the animals jumped and twirled around eachother in a crazy way. Malifacent hated this time of the year. For it was during this seasson that she felt very lonly. " Diaval!!" she yelled. Hoping that her shouts could be heard over the noise. " Diaval! You stupid crow I'm calling you!". A loud caw was heard from a distance. He soon came into view and landed on the edge of the nest. " I'm not a stupid crow. My beautiful self is a Raven". He sat next to her carefully and listened to her complain. He rested his head on his hand as Maleficent's complaining was the same every year when spring arrived. Yet again he remained her that it was mating season.

Diaval flew every morning to the castle and returned every evening to report his findings to his mistress. He always had Sunday off in which he would do whatever he wanted. He would often fly off on Saturday night and return to her Monday afternoon. As the curse became near, Diaval became more distant. He would talk less and less about his day off when he returned. Maleficent knew that this was so unlike him to hide something from her. One night she followed Diaval in hopes to find out what was wrong with him. He walked down the road to a farm. The same farm in which she saw him before he ran off. A very pretty young woman waited him outside the barn. Diaval ran to her and she wrapped her arms around him. Maleficent felt that same burning sensation in her chest again as she saw the woman run her hands through his hair. Rose saw sadness in his eyes, " Diaval it's the third time this month that I see you this way. What's the matter? Don't you dare say it's nothing because I raised you and I know when you are sad. Is it Maleficent?". Diaval sighed heavily and thought to himself that there was no way get out of this one. He sat down in the hay next to her, " No. It's not Maleficent. It's the curse that was placed over Aurora. My mistress doesn't believe in true loves kiss and she has every right to believe so. After what happened to her years ago, she has ever right. The child's 15th birthday will be here soon and so is the curse". Rose listen to him and know that he had grown to love Aurora just as she had grown to love him. He considered Aurora his own and as a father, he protected her from all the world's harms but knew that there was one harm that he couldn't protect her from. Maleficent knew Diaval's pain all to well. She tried to remove the curse on Aurora's 13th birthday, the first night she brought her into the Moors. The curse cannot be removed.

On her 15th birthday, Maleficent brought Aurora back to the Moors. The nightlife was full of color and life. Diaval wore his best outfit which was all back with a few Moor diamonds. On his shoulder hang his beautiful cloak that his mistress made for him, he had added diamond dust to its sides making it spark in the moon light. Maleficent had a new dress too that was gray. He hair was down and she looked so beautiful. Aurora danced to the music that the fairies played but all the while her eyes were on Diaval. Maleficent noticed this from Aurora and did not like what she saw. The girl was technically flirting with Diaval and that burning feeling came back once more. She got up and passed Diaval, her staff glowing slightly. He knew what that meant and he followed her out of the celebration. " Mistress?", he asked walk beside her. She turned to him, " Aurora has developed feels for you and not in the good way". Diaval said nothing and kept on listening to her mistress in confusion. " She is in love with you my pet and I know you don't see her in a romantic light as she does you. I felt that it was my duty to inform you". He couldn't see Aurora in no other light than a parent would see their child. He turned to her and bowed to her, " Thank you mistress for informing me about this. I will take care of this because as you told me in the cave that winter. I am yours and will forever be" and with that he turned back. Maleficent just smiled as she watched him walk farther from her.

He returned to the celebration and was automacticly pushed into the dance. He had seen others dancing before but he had never tried it himself. He followed Aurora's movements and soon found his way. They danced hand in hand as everyone cheered. Aurora loved the feeling of their hands touching. At the end of the celebration, Diaval walked her back to the cottage. " There you go Aurora. I hope you enjoyed yourself. Have a goodnight", he turned to go back to the woods when she grabbed his hand. He turned and Aurora was very close to him, that he could feel her warm breath. He was shocked when she pulled him in for a kiss. Her lips gently brushed his, she held onto his hair as she kissed him. Diaval knew that this was not right and he firmly pulled away. " No Aurora. I can't" , he said in a hushed voice. Right then and there he transformed into a raven and flew back to his mistress.

Maleficent was back in her tree when she heard his cawing and saw him flying in fast. He transformed in midair, he landed with his legs and arm parts, like a pushup position. Maleficent knew that something happened because of his distressed look on his face. She lowered herself to him, " Diaval, what's wrong? What happened?". He looked at her with fear in his eyes, " She kissed me. Forcefully....". That sentence made Maleficent's blood boil but especially the last part. Her eyes glowed bright green and she hurried to the direction of the cottage. " How dare she lay a finger on you!", she was angry and anger never gave good results. He needed to intervene and advise her, she'll listen to him if she's up to it. He ran and stood in front of her, blocking her way. " Diaval step aside", she said to him firmly but he did not move. She moved to the side and he did the same. " Mistress please. Let's wait until the her next visit. I will stay with you and only go to the castle. I won't see Aurora alone anymore, I'll be in your company. I know how much it displeases you", he said with a tilt of his head. Maleficent's anger died down, Diaval had a point. She needed to punish Aurora for desiring what was not hers but most of all she needed to be taught that Diaval was off limits.

As promised, Diaval only spent his days with Maleficent and reported castle activity. Stefan's life was so boring and he might be completely insane because he's talking to the wall. The queen's death soon followed but she died alone. When Aurora returns to the Moors weeks later, Maleficent was keeping a close eyes on her raven. Aurora ran to Diaval who knew it was more than a hug. She hugged him and then tried to kiss him but he was able to escape. "No Aurora!", he yelled at her for the first time. She didn't listen and tried again, " Aurora Stop!", Maleficent pulled her off Diaval. " I won't allow this type of behavior from you anymore!", Aurora tried to protest but was only sighlenced once more, " Diaval said no and you must respect that. He doesn't share the romantic feelings you have for him. Now go back home! I want you to reflect on what you have done". Aurora protests and started to argue with his mistress. He knew that Aurora would not win against Maleficent. So he transformed himself into the creature he so much despised, a wolf. He got between both of them. He growled at Aurora, making it known that he would protect Maleficent at any cost. He chased her out of the Moors, he didn't want to do this but she left him no choice. For he knew that what he did, he did out of love.