Chapter 5: New Friend

The day of the feared curse finally came. There was pain, crying and joy. For it was broken by the one who had cast it. Diaval was one of two men who kiss Aurora that day. The kiss did not work because he did not share the same love that Aurora had for him but Maleficent's kiss did work. For it was the love of a mother and a daughter.

Maleficent decided that it was time to release her raven from his service. She had forced him to stay with her for 17 years already. She had kept him from finding a mate and having a family. He had given up his life and his wings to give it to her. The least she could do was give him his freedom back. That night she stood up from her throne, he subjects gathered for the important announcement. Diaval bowed before his mistress with his head down. She placed on hand on his shoulder, " Diaval. You are my servant and my most loyal friend. You have served me well these last 17 years. Turned into multiple animals and faced great dangers. You refused to leave my side even though it was not your fight...". She took a moment to gather herself together, " I Maleficent protector of the Moors, release you from your vow. Diaval of the Moors I set you free". The crowed cheered around them, Diaval looked up and smiled at her. They hugged each other and when they separated. Diaval transformed and flew off into the sky. She flew up onto the cliff and saw that Diaval was leaving. The tears that threaten to come out during her speech had escaped.

She went up to her nest in the tree and started to cry. She hated herself for feeling so weak. She was crying over a bird but yet he wasn't no ordinary bird. She cried herself to sleep that night. Around the middle of the night she felt something press against her back. She turned and was overjoyed to see Diaval sleeping next to her. He must have been the gust of wind that she felt about an hour ago. She curled up against him and traced the scar on his face, " My beautiful raven. You came back. I was afraid that you have left me". Diaval woke up under her warm breath, " I would never do that Maleficent unless if that's your wish...", he was silenced when she placed her head on his chest, mindful of her horns.

He took in a shaky breath, " what do you feel for me, Maleficent? Is it just friendship or am I...am I more?" She fell silent, surveying him, and then slowly threaded her fingers into his hair and tugged him towards her. Taking that as an invitation, Diaval brushed his lips ever-so-lightly over hers, initiating a sweet, entirely innocent kiss. Carefully, he pulled back to study her reaction. Her full, ruby-colored lips were parted, and her brilliant green eyes searched his for a moment before she broke into a bright smile. "Come on, you can do better than that, can't you?" He balked at her for all of a second, and then reached for her again, dragging her into his arms and claiming her mouth with his in a far more passionate kiss. Maleficent wrapped her arms around his neck, responding to the embrace with equal ardor as he tenderly bore her back against the blanket they were resting on. She moaned quietly when he settled on top of her so that every inch of their bodies were touching and she was able to tell just how much he desired her.

Diaval pulled back for air and stared down at her, his jet-black hair falling carelessly into his eyes. "If you don't stop me now, I might not be able to..."
Her response was to draw him down to her and slide one long leg against his before hitching it over his waist to keep him exactly where he was. "If you stop right now, I might end up killing you." His dark eyes sparked in challenge and he leaned forward. "Well we can't have that..." He was quite certain that the next sound the faery made was a growl, but then his mouth was once again preoccupied with hers and it didn't matter anyway.

They sank back together in the nest, limbs entwining naturally as hands and lips wandered. Diaval was determined not to let a single inch of Maleficent's skin remain unexplored, taking his time to memorize the dips and curves of her form, pressing lingering kisses along the way and delighting in finding the areas that caused more vocal reactions. Of course, it was not long before she turned the tides and pinned him under her so she could do some discovering of her own, but he wasn't about to complain about that. Not one bit.They exchanged bites and scratches as often as kisses and caresses; for Maleficent was, at her heart: a wild creature (as was he), but the battle for dominance eventually ended with Diaval as the victor: trapping his love beneath him and meeting her gaze. A silent question passed between them, and when she nodded: he kissed her again and joined their bodies with a hard trust. She cried out sharply when they were connected, her nails digging into the flesh of his back hard enough to draw blood. He touched his forehead to hers and whispered words of comfort as he allowed her to adjust to this new experience, doing his best not to move too much until she was ready.

Since the night that they mated with one another. Maleficent seemed happier and played more often. They shared each meal and went out for longer patrols. As always they bickered with one another but it was never bad. That was until Aurora was crowned future queen of the human kingdom about 2 months after the spell was broken. Royals came from far and wide to witness the future queen sit on the throne for the first time. Diaval, as the raising father of Arurra was to present her to all the kingdoms. The trumps sounded mejesticly as everyone paid attention to the stairs. The musicians played softly as Diaval and Aurora walked down the stairs slowly. Her arm around his bicep, they smiled at each other. Maleficent stood near the throne with a gold crown in her hands. Aurora and Diaval bowed to Maleficent. Diaval took his place beside Maleficent, " Aurora this crown you shall wear in grace and beauty. For it's thy right and royal duty. Rule this kingdom with kindness for you were raised in the humblest of places. Long shall you rain one day". Maleficent placed the gold crown on Aurora and everyone cheered. The rest of the night was spent making small talk with the humans in which Diaval was always at Maleficent's side to help her adjust. Once she was adjusted, he went off on his own to get something to eat. As always, Diaval was polite and allowed two beautiful princesses to get their pick of the food first. They grabbed what they needed and went off to sit with a group of People. As, the youngest of the princess set her plate down, she turned to look at the man who had been very nice to her. He was very handsome and thought that his scars were beautiful too. Diaval headed outside for he needed a break from the music and rukkus. The princess picked up her plate and went in the direction in which Diaval had went.

Diaval sat down on the water fountain and just stared at his reflection in the water. He admired himself, he was indeed a handsome bird. The young princess approached, " Thank you for your kindness". He turned to find her standing only 3 feet away from him. She appeared to be 19 years old, with bright blue eyes and honey colored hair. " Your welcome. Is everything ok and what is your name majesty?", he asked with a head tilt. " Princess Erika of Zel . I wanted to have a little chat and you are?", Diaval got up from his seat and bowed before her, "Diaval of the Moors your majesty". They exchanged smiled as he gestured with his hand for her to have a seat. They ate as they made small talk to break the ice. She noticed he had a lot of meat and a few grapes on his plate. " My you eat like a raven as my father used to say", she chuckled lightly. He smiled at her, " I am a raven. I'm the black bird that follows Maleficent around", he got up and jumped into the air. Darkness covered him as he transformed and flew around her. Maleficent herself heard Diaval's cries and looked out onto the balcony. Her heart stopped for a moment when she spotted him fooling around with young women. He flew around her like a raven in the spring time. After a few rounds he landed on her harm, of course being careful not to hurt her. She stroked his feathers gently, " Diaval, such a pretty bird. Remember my friend, my castle is your castle". With that said he transformed back into a man. Erika whispered something into his ear.

Later that night, Diaval saw Maleficent near the pond. He greeted her happily but she didn't even turn to look at him. He touched her shoulder but was pushed away. " Get away from me. You disgusting crow! ", she snapped at him. Anger and confusion crossed his eyes as he snapped back, " I'm not a disgusting crow!". Her eyes glowed bright green and he knew that something was bothering her, " I saw you with a young woman alone tonight Diaval. You were meant to stay by me! I am your mate!". Diaval still confused but chose his words carefully, " Yes, her name is Erika. I know that you are my mate and is there a problem with me making friends?". She indeed had a problem with friends who were fair in beauty and were also female but of course she won't accept the fact that she was jealous of that woman. She stayed cold as the day she put the spell on the baby princess," You are not allowed to be on your own. You shall stay by me where I can keep an eye on you". Diaval didn't back down or submitted, " I am no longer your servant! You have no right to tell me where I go or who I meet...". His words were lost when Maleficent hit him with a blast of magic. He was tossed to a near by tree. Of course it did hurt his back to be toss to a tree but he got up and went deeper into the Moors. The other fairies heard the heated argument and they were all on his side. They knew that this would be something that Maleficent would regret.

Diaval went into the cave and saddled River quickly, " It's time to go old friend". River knew that something was up but did not fuss. As Diaval stepped out of the cave with his horse, a group of faires stood before him. They gave him a few jewels from their river. Along with water and some healing rocks. He thanked them for their kindness and rode off on his horse. From her nest, Maleficent could see Diaval leaving the Moors. Tears fell from her eyes as she saw her mate leave without once turning back.