Chapter 2: Wings

On one chilly October afternoon. Diaval was flying over a farm that happened to be growing corn. He was hungry and craved some corn. He flew down carefully and perched on a basket of freshly picked corn. He began eating little pieces of corn when two dogs suddenly jumped on top of him. He cawed helplessly as the dogs scratched him. The farmer called his dogs to the side and placed a net over the injured bird. Another creature was watching the entire problem. She looked like a human but had large wavy horns on top of her head. She was a fairy and she felt bad for the raven as Diaval struggled to free himself. The farmer grabbed a large metal tube as the two dogs barked loudly at him. As the farmer was about to start to hit the raven, the fairy whispered, " Into a man" as she used her magic. The raven slowly turned into a man.

He grew in size, his claws turned into feet. His feathers disappeared as his wings turned into hands. The farmer dropped the tube and ran off in fright and the dogs followed their master. Diaval yelled out," I'm a raven not a demon". As he got up he noticed the change and observed himself all over. He was completely covered in dirt and he was naked. The fairy walked up to him slowly as he turned around looking for his tale. He saw the fairy in front of him and said, " what have you done to my beautiful self?". He questioned her as he lifted an eyebrow. The fairy looked at him seriously and said, " stop complaining. I saved your life". The raven looked down for a moment as he gathered his thoughts. He then looked up and said, " Forgive me". He turned his gaze down as the fairy said, " what do I call you?". The raven looked up with his hair all ruffled up and said, " Diaval and in return for saving my life. I am your servant. Whatever you need". As he said this he bowed. The fairy was pleased by his offer and told him to be her wings. She transformed him into his raven form as he scanned the area around her.

He served her as a spy and as a babysitter when little Aurora was in the care of the careless fairies. Even though he was a servant, he enjoyed being around his mistress. Diaval enjoyed playing with little Aurora who was the daughter of the man who destroyed Maleficent's life. Aurora was the child of King Stefon who was once his mistress' friend and love interest. Stefon curly crushed her heart by cutting off her wings.

Aurora also called him a pretty bird. Which is something that Maleficent had to admit. Diaval was a pretty bird and also a pretty man. He was always dressed in fine black clothing and his hair was as black as his beautiful self. He has scars around his eyebrows and cheekbones. On his back and chest. Scars of his dog and cat battles. As the years passed Maleficent became more open with her loyal bird companion. She told him how she lost her wings. As she told him the story she began to cry softly. Diaval was in his raven form and he hopped over to her. Landing on her knee he nuzzles his beak to her face. Maleficent lifted her head and scratched his neck as she always did when he was in his natural form. She enjoyed his company. For he helped her remain sane during her dark days.

Diaval woke up every morning to check on you Aurora. Just like he has always done since the day the fairies brought her into the forest. He knew everything about her for he was the one who raised her. He fed her and even kept her clean as a baby. But now young Aurora was turning 12 and on this particular day, Diaval stopped by to see if anything was to be planned. Much to his surprise there was nothing. No cake, no present and not even a simple " happy birthday" was mentioned. Aurora was just in her room reading and always looking at the door, expecting for at least a birthday hug. Diaval shook his head at this and flew back to Maleficent. When Diaval returned she noticed his very cheerful mood. With a wave of her hand, Diaval was transformed into his human form. He smiled sweetly at her and she noticed the pride in his dark black eyes. He layed back on the tree trunk as be started to sing to himself. " Joyful now to our princess we come. Bring gifts and to pledge our loyalty anew. Hail to the princess Aurora . All of her subjects adore her. Hail to her. Hail to her. Hail to the princess Aurora. Health to the princess. Wealth to the princess. Long live the princess Aurora. Hail Aurora. Hail Aurora. Health to the princess. Wealth to the princess. Long live the princess Aurora. Hail to her. Hail to her. Hail to the princess Aurora" . Maleficent glared at him annoyingly as he finished singing. It was the same every year. He lifted his head to look at her and gave her a charming smile. She walked over to him and touched his hair with feather light fingers. As she did this his smile faded. Maleficent noticed this and sat next to him and said, " Diaval my handsome bird. What's bothering you?". Diaval looked at her and said, " It's Aurora's 12th birthday today and the fairies forgot her birthday. She should at least get a present ". She looked at him and laughed. His hair hanged in front to his face and she moved it to the side. She placed her hand under his chin and said, " Oh Diaval. You have such a big heart. But no my pet. It's not our responsibility to give her a party. Our responsibility is to keep her alive and safe until her sixteenth birthday ". Diaval bowed and said, " As you say mistress. I will be nearby if you need me". He slowly turned his back and went out for a walk. Maleficent twirled her hand and she turned him into a raven.

Diaval flew into the country side and into the farms. Rose was sitting on the fence when she heard a familiar sound. A raven flew into sight. She extended her hand and the bird landed on her arm. Diaval nuzzled her hand with his head. He flew back hours later, Maleficent was worried sick. Finally, Diaval came into sight and a sigh of relief escaped her mouth. He landed on the edge of the nest, avoiding her gaze. She looked at him and said, " Where have you been Diaval? I was about to go looking for you". She shapeshifted him and looked at him directly in the eyes. " so where were you for the entire evening?". Diaval avoided her gaze again and said, " I just went out for a fly. I don't desire to share the rest". His mistress knew that he was hiding something from her. Diaval was not the type to keep secrets which made her more crouse. But she couldn't force him to share because it wouldn't be right. He sat a few feet away from here. For a few minutes that felt like hours, they sat in silence.

Maleficent moved a little closer to him and said, " Diaval my pretty bird. I need you to fly down to the south of the moors. There you will find very beautiful flowers near the river. Pick some and take them to the little beastie". He nodded firmly and jumped out of the nest. Maleficent changed him in midair and he did so with grace. He flew to the river and picked a small bouquet of flower. He placed the flowers in his beak and flew to find young Aurora. He found her near the blueberry patch in a light gray cloak. He landed gracefully on her shoulder and handed her the flowers. The girl gently smiled at him as they played in the forest.

Maleficent observed from a far and smiled at her bird servant. For she knew deep down inside that he was more than just a servant. He was her loyalty companion and her most trusted friend.