Chapter 9: Darkness

There was laughter and life back in the Moors. That little raven brought so much cheer to the place that it remained her of when she was a girl. Diaval often joined in the fun and encouraged her to do the same. Where every they went, Gin would always follow. She was never out of their sight. Diaval and Maleficent wouldn't have it any other way.

Maleficent loved brushing Gin's hair in the morning. She learned to care for the little raven as she did with Aurora. Little Gin liked Maleficent too, especially when she would wrap her up in her large wings. Gin would often cough for long periods of time. With each cough, Diaval worried even more. He protected her in every form from evil humans but there was one danger that he couldn't save her from. A month passed since Gin had joined the family.

One morning, Gin did not wake up. Diaval and Maleficent tried waking her up but she was already gone. She had died in her sleep. Diaval yelled in agony and pain. His tears went down his face. For there was no pain greater than losing a hatchling.

Gin was buried in her raven form in the Moors. Everyone mourned her death but no one mourned her more than her father. After her she rested in peace. Diaval was siglant, not talking or saying a single word to anyone. This went on for hours, Maleficent started to worry about him
Often wondering what was in his mind. He flew off onto Maleficent's old childhood nest. He stayed there for Days. Not eating or drinking anything. Maleficent often checked up on him daily, to only find him weaker. The days turned to weeks and that was when Maleficent decided that he had gone to far. " Diaval?!.. Diaval! Answer me my pet. Diaval! ", she went to his side upon seeing him breathing weakly. She held his raven form in her hands. He didn't answer her, " Into a man", she turned him without thinking twice. He looked awful, his skin was pale and his lips chapped. His hair lost it's shine and he was a little thin. She rested his head on her lap as she ran a hand up and down his chest.

The creatures of the Moors brought food and water. Maleficent offered him a spoon full of mashed blueberries with a hint of honey. He turned his head at the offering. She believes that he was sick and got one of the Elder ferries to take a look at them. The Elder ferries looked at him and checked him. The elders of the 6 ferries went up to Maleficent after 30 minutes. He looked at her with sadness, " Maleficent... it's seems that Diaval has a server Anemia. That explains his weakness. If you don't get food in him and iron in his system. You will lose him". Maleficent wouldn't allow that. She couldn't lose him know, she would do anything for him. Anything. She sat by him and forcefully fed him, not as if he had a choice. He was to weak to fight her any longer and unwilling opened his mouth.

Diaval wouldn't take spinach or broccoli which were the only high iron food available. She had no other choice, all she had was the iron powder he had brought with him. For what reason, she did not know but she knew that he would never hurt her that way. She sprinkled the iron powder onto his body and then gently rubbed. She massaged the iron onto his skin. It burned her hands, to the point that the iron was red hot. She ignored the pain because her love for her pretty bird was stronger than any pain. Suddenly she felt something that she never felt before. It was on his back, she removed his shirt to find a new scar. Her blood boiled, it was a mark. He had been branded with hot iron, burned. From Erika's kingdom no doubt. She kissed Diaval's face as she touched the new scar. She could basically hear his cry of pain as the hot iron touched his skin. He stirred under her touch, " Hush now my pet. I'm here. Hush now...". He was having a nightmare but her words soothed his dream. She covered him with her wings.

She nursed him back to health and eventually helped him get back on his feet in a few weeks. She was happy that her mate was back with her because she couldn't imagine living life without him. He was her world and her only love. He brought light into her life of darkness and soon it was going to get even brighter with a special gift on the way.