29

A soft humming voice sang a melody.

The melody echoed through the empty hallway, creating a calm ambiance.

The name of the melody was unknown to Jimin, but he figured he must've heard Taehyung sing it before.

He tried to murmur some of the lyrics, he only really remembered the chorus had something to do with midnight, but it kept him calm as he waited, so he continued to sign.

He crossed his arms over his chest and leaned back against the door of his apartment. The hallway was dead silent, without a single soul in sight. On one hand, he liked that it was silent, that way nobody bothered him. But on the other hand, waiting in silence was driving him mad.

''My midnight visit...'' He tried to sing the lyrics as he glanced down at his cellphone to check the time.

He should be here any second. Jimin thought to himself.

And as if on cue, he heard the elevator doors open. A single pair of footsteps walked out, echoing through the hallway.

Jimin didn't need to look to his right to know who the person was.

He didn't look his way, all up until the male stood right in front of him.

He was wearing a sweatshirt; a gray version of the one Jimin has been sporting for the past week. His hair was messy, as if he had just rolled out of bed, yet the bags beneath his eyes showed he hasn't been getting much sleep lately.

''Hey...'' Jungkook greeted as the pair finally made eye contact.

''Hi.'' Jimin forced a smile to his lips. ''Come on in.'' He offered as he opened the door for them and made his way inside.

Jungkook followed behind him, he kicked his shoes off and placed them by Jimin's pair, as he always did. Jimin watched him with a bitter smile on his lips.

''How are you?'' His voice came out as soft as a whisper, but Jungkook still heard him and shrugged in reply.

''I've had better days.'' He admitted as he followed behind Jimin to the living room. ''You?''

''I've had better days too.'' Jimin nodded in agreement. ''Were you at the retirement home today?''

''No, I was in the library all day long.'' Jungkook sighed as he threw himself down on the couch.

Jimin couldn't help but frown in worry; Jungkook looked exhausted.

''Were you studying for an exam?'' He questioned as he sat down next to him. Jungkook only nodded, trying his best to keep his eyes open. ''Which one?''

''The one I've already failed three times.''

''What?'' Jimin's eyes went wide in shock. ''When did that happen?''

''Ages ago.'' Jungkook smiled sadly.

''Wha-why didn't you tell me?''

''I did.''

''When?''

''I called you, on the verge of a breakdown, and you told me you couldn't talk because you were finishing up your presentation.'' Jimin didn't speak, just stared at his ex-boyfriend with wide eyes full of worry and regret. ''Then I tried to tell you again right before our fight. But you decided you'd rather study than listen to me, and now you've probably got an idea as to why I got so mad that day.''

''I-I... I didn't...'' Jimin was at a loss for words.

''Please don't try to apologize.'' Jungkook sighed as he looked away from his ex, knowing his eyes will water if he sees Jimin cry. ''I... I asked my mom if I could borrow some money... to pay for the exam.''