Chapter 4

I stop at the end of the hall to hear Nova and Mergin talking downstairs. "Have you eaten today?" I heard Mergin ask Nova. "Of course.. it was cake." I can hear the soft smile in her voice. "Really?" He replies. "That's what you eat most of the time to stop yourself from the alternative. Why don't you go healthier?" Nova sighed. "because I don't need food like you do. Well, you don't really eat food either but that's besides the point. I choose what tastes best to me. Lay off my back." I peek around the corner slightly. So I can see them and they can't see me. They both look annoyed. Nova is tapping her foot with her arms crossed. Mergin has a look of concern on his face. "Have you told Luna yet? I mean.. I know she's new but she still needs to know.." Mergin says as he looks slightly down. "needs to know what Mergin? My past? So she can't feel safe around me? This houses only protector against Azazel? Fuck no Mergin. She needs to not know so she can trust me. Because she can." Nova stopped tapping her foot and being agitated. She just looked lost and sad. I almost jumped and screamed when someone tapped my shoulder. I turned around to see a woman. She had pink hair to her shoulders and a big smile. "You're peeping on them aren't you?"  I look down and twiddle my thumbs. "Yeah.. you caught me." She puts her finger on her mouth and thinks for a moment. She then looks at me. "Why?" She asks me. I look up at her, puzzled. "What do you mean why?" the lady sighed and looked at me. "why would you spy on them? Do you not trust them?" I thought about what Nova and what she said about trusting her. I decided not to tell her to avert future problems. "Of course I do. I just.. I don't know." She smiled sightly. "Well, I don't know. I'm Sam." That name sounded strangely familiar. then it hit me. "oh! you're the person who puts up the barrier for the house, right?" i say, slightly excited. "The one and only." She replies with a big smile on her face. I chuckle a little bit and smile. "Well. the name is Luna. Nice to meet you Sam." " I already know your name. I uh, need to start going. i'll catch up on you later. okay?" she starts walking back up the stairs. i wave her goodbye just in time to see Nova walking towards me. I don't think she's seen me. I stop her in her tracks to try and talk to her. "Uh, hey Nova. We need to talk." her eyes widen, then she groans. "Kassie hasn't shown you her baby teeth collection has sh-" "NO! uhm, I mean no she hasn't. this is between you and me." Nova puts a hand on her hip. "Oh? what's wrong?" I look at the floor and shuffle my foot. "Well, when Mergin was going to talk to you he said something about you.. being different? is a way to describe it. then, I.. spied on you while you and Mergin were taking. " Nova's eyes widened but I quickly tried to defend myself. "W- wait! before you start to get mad you guys were talking about me. I guess I have a right to listen? anyway, I want things explained to me. If things are being hid away from me, then I won't feel safe. Simple as that." Nova took a big sigh, rubbed her face and groaned. "if i tell you this will you not be scared of me?" she said.