Chapter 8

I run upstairs trying to find Kassie that I barely notice who I almost run into. It was the woman I met on the first day. What was her name? Eretria.. right. "Oh! Oh, I'm sorry pardon me." I say quickly and nervously because she seems like someone who you don't want to mess with, but she really doesn't have a hard face. Just a hard shell. Like a boiled egg. Hard on the outside and soft and warm on the inside. "Where are you going so fast Luna? You must watch where you are going." She says in a deep voice. I stammer another quick apology. "I'm so sorry Eretria. Kassie stormed off from dinner and I want to go talk to her." I say twiddling my thumbs. "Luna?" She says. "Yes?" I answer. "You should not be scared of me. Though I may seem tough, I will help you in your most dire of times. I will be your mother and your therapist. We are a family. You are welcome to come to my office anytime." She said putting a hand on my shoulder. I smiled and tears almost welled up in my eyes. I nodded. "thank you, your generosity is appreciated." I try saying in an intelligent manor. Eretria just smiled and it felt like the sun rising for the first time. Light shined from her. "you are very welcome. Now, run along and go find Kassie. It is known she needs a friend." I smiled and waved, walking passed her down the hall. I take out a note from my pocket from Nova displaying everyone's room placements. "Nova.. Mara.. Alice and Stark.. aha! Kassie! Okay, I'm coming for you. Hold on tight." I shoved the crumpled paper in my pocket and started looking around for room number 14. I smile when I find it and there's a bunch of posters on her door. I then knock and call into the door. "hey Kassie? It's me Luna. I wanna talk." I heard soft grunts from behind the door. Then feet shuffling. Kassie opened the door and tried to smile, but of course it was sad. I take her by her shoulders and guide her in. "Let's talk, you look like your best friend just died." I kicked the door behind me with my foot. Kassie groaned and sat on her bed, I then sat next to her. "Okay so.. I agree a little on what you said Kassie but.. you should have handled it differently. Yes, Nova went a little on the edge but she's just concerned with everyone's safety." Kassie played with her shoelaces a little before looking up at me and answering. "I'm sorry I guess.. I've been dealing with things lately and I took it out on her." She rubbed her temples. "Smart to get our only protector pissed at me." She sighs. "We'll figure this all out tomorrow Kass. Right now it's time for us all to go to bed." I yawned softly. Kass nodded and sooner rather than later I'm already out the door and walking towards my bedroom. I check my phone to see I have 8 missed calls and 3 texts. Four from my old best friend and four from my mom. You know what mom? Let's call you and see if you really care. I dial her number and let it ring in my ear. I took a deep breath a second before she answered.

Luna?

Yeah mom, it's me.

Where the hell have you been?

I found a new family.
I heard a small gasp in the background.

What do you mean? We're your family.

You haven't felt like my family since Dad died. You're a monster. Drinking, smoking illegal things. You aren't a mom. Your just someone that had me. Call me when you know what a mother is.

LUNA I SWEAR TO G-

I hung up and shoved my phone my pocket. Let's hope tomorrow is a better day.

(Hey guys! I know this was kind of a dry chapter but this is building up to the events in the next one. Just hang on tight! 💕)