Chapter 2

Rose's POV

As I open my eyes, I squint at the light in the room. Why does it always have to be so bright first thing in the morning? I close my eyes again. It's not often I wake up with a headache, so why today? Come to think of it, I am super tired. I sort of want to just roll over and go back to sleep. What time did I even go to bed last night? What time is it now? I roll towards my bedside table where I keep my alarm clock, and force my eyes open, only to see that it is missing.

Confused, I slowly sit up and look at the bedside table. That isn't even my bedside table. Where am I? I start to look around the room, noticing the elegance to it. The clean white carpet, the white walls with gold trimmings, the matching white and gold dresser. There is even a sitting area with a couch and tv to one side of the massive room.

Eventually my eyes fall on the monster of a man sitting on the bed next to me, watching me with an intensity that makes me feel slightly uncomfortable. Looking at him for a moment, I can't shake how familiar he seems. I definitely have seen his swept-back, dark brown hair and the matching stubble spread across his sharp jaw. Not to mention his piercing grey eyes and the intimidating aura he seems to radiate.

Wait, I think I know where I know him from. He is a regular at the Starbucks I work at. He orders a venti cinnamon dolce latte with 2 extra shots of expresso almost every morning. I believe his name is Lucifer. He is always standing right at the counter waiting to take his drink from me when I call his name.

But what am I doing here, and where even is here? He never asked me for my number, we never even exchanged more than a few sentences in all the times he has come into the store. What would I be doing in his place, let alone his bed? Is this even his place or are we in a hotel somewhere? We didn't... no... we couldn't... did we?

Yesterday I got off work at four. I walked by Henry, the older homeless man I walk past on my way home from work every day, and gave him a five-dollar bill like I normally do. I also stopped by the retirement home I volunteer at to give Ruth the small sudoku puzzle book I had bought her for her birthday.

After that I made myself some dinner then went to the ice-skating rink I often practice at. I have been ice skating since I was little. I used to skate with my mom before she went missing and I continued afterwards. I always felt closer to her when I was skating, like she was there on the ice beside me.

I remember leaving the rink at ten when they close and starting to walk home, but I don't remember anything after that. I don't typically drink so there's no way I got blackout drunk, and I don't remember running into him at all after work yesterday. Was I drugged? I look at the man, Lucifer.

"What happened last night?" I ask.

"We didn't have sex if that's what you're wondering." He says in a deep, husky voice, avoiding my question.

"Why am I here? I don't even really know you." I try again, asking my question in a different way.

"Oh, how rude of me not to introduce myself. My name is Lucifer. Lucifer Burns."

"You're not answering my question. Why am I here? Where are we?"

"We are at my house, our house." He puts emphasis on "our" and I can't help but laugh.

"Our house? We don't live together! I don't even know you."

"Yes, our house. It only makes sense that I would live with my fiancé."

"FIANCÉ?" I ask standing up from the bed abruptly. "I am not your fiancé." I shake my head in disbelief. Who does this man think he is? "Screw this, I'm leaving." I turn and head towards the door.