Chapter 13

Lucifer slowly turns his attention to me. He looks to be trying to think of how to explain it, maybe even slightly worried about it. This makes me even more curious. Who is she? Why does she have everyone reacting like this, and why is Luna so oblivious. If something happened why is she the only one who doesn't know about it.

            "Lucy is an ex-girlfriend of mine. Things, didn't exactly end well between us." Lucifer says softly,

            "What happened?" I ask. Lucifer looks slightly uncomfortable. He glances across the table at Luna then back at me. He stands and holds his hand out to me.

            "Come, let's go talk about this somewhere a bit more private." I look up at him and nod.

I put my hand in his and stand up. He releases my hand and leads me out of the private dining room with a hand on the small of my back and out of the restaurant through a patio door. He leads me away from the outdoor eating area and to a pond with an elegant wood bridge stretching over it.  We walk across the bridge and stop in the middle, far enough away from other people. Lucifer leans against the rail and looks over the water, and I do the same.

"I started dating Lucy three years ago. Long story short an adult club owner I was doing some business with thought he could get away with under paying me. I decided to make an example out of him and went to his club to kill him. When I walked into the backroom, there was Lucy, half naked giving the perv a lap dance. She worked as a stripper at the club but the owner used her as his private whore.

"She watched me put a bullet in his head, and reacted as if she believed he deserved it. She was too beautiful for that job, if I had let her stay she would just be taken advantage of by all the sleazes that went to that club. I wrote her a check for half a million dollars and told her I'd only give it to her if she never worked in a strip club again. She accepted, pocketed the check, and followed me when I went to leave.

"She told me she suddenly had some free time and no one to spend it with and elected me as her lucky volunteer. After hanging out for a few days, she became my girlfriend. We spent two and a half happy years together. I would have done anything for that woman. I thought I would marry her, I wanted to marry her. I proposed to her, and she accepted, but then she broke my heart.

"At the time I was having some troubles with a rival mafia leader. I had one of my men join his crew under cover to keep an eye on him and report back to me. He caught Lucy sleeping with the prick. Not only did she cheat on me, but she shared private information about me with my enemy that he could use against me. She risked my life and all of my men's lives, for a fucking one-night stand." Lucifer is fuming at this point. I can see his knuckles turning white from how tight he is gripping the rail.

"So you broke up with her?" I ask softly. He sighs.

"Not exactly," He trails off.

"What does that mean?" I ask. He pauses, staring off at the water. "Lucifer, what does that mean?" He sighs.

"When my spy came to report the incident to me, I was furious, heartbroken, I wasn't thinking logically. I, I shot him, multiple times, in the back of the head. I sat there, in the same room as his bleeding corpse, for hours, and I waited for my fiancé to come home. She knew she fucked up the second she saw him lying in a pool of his own blood. I couldn't just let her go, not after she sold my secrets for cheap sex. Not after she broke my heart." He trails off again.

"Lucifer, what did you do?" He is avoiding my question.

"I should have killed her, but I couldn't. I loved her. There's no way I could ever trust her again, but I couldn't imagine a world without her in it." He goes silent for a moment then takes a deep breath and looks me in the eyes. "I locked her up somewhere where she could be tortured, and kept alive, because I couldn't kill her, and that was the next best thing."

I look at him completely dumbfounded. A normal person would break up with someone who cheated on them, not lock them up to be tortured.

"You let her go though, right? It's been around six months since that happened so you have to have let her go by now."

"No Rose. She's been locked up for six months now. Three months after she cheated on me is when I saw you at the bar with Emma. For the last three months I haven't cared about her. You have been the most important thing in my life."

"Why wouldn't you let her go then?"

"She hurt me Rose, she betrayed my trust and did something that could have gotten me and my men killed, or jeopardized my business. She can't be trusted anymore."

I shake my head. This is crazy. He is crazy. Normal, sane people don't think like this man does. Does his family know about this? They have to given how they reacted to her name. I look at him.

"Does your family know about this?"

"Everyone but Luna."

"And their just okay with it?" I raise my voice.

"Rose, you need to calm down," Lucifer starts. I shake my head. This is ridiculous. I can't be around him right now, and I can't be around his family.

"I want to go home." I say sternly.

"Alright Rose, let's just go finish dinner and we can talk about all of this after."

"No Lucifer. I want to go home now." I look him dead in the eyes. He looks back, gauging my reaction. He sighs and shakes his head. He looks behind me and gives a small nod. Within moments Elliot approaches us. He must have been standing back where I couldn't see him.

"Elliot, I want you to drive Rose home." Lucifer says. He nods and looks at me and he offers me his arm so he can escort me to the car.

"Rose," He says kindly, professionally. I glance from him, to Lucifer, then back to him. I push past him and walk ahead of him. He knew about all of this too.

I hear Elliot following behind me. When we get off the bridge I let him take the lead and I follow him to the car. I refuse to speak to him the whole ride. He sat back and let Lucifer do this to some girl, he's just as bad.