Chapter 7

I blink my eyes open. It is bright in the room, daytime. I glance over at the clock on my bedside table. Its 10 am. I overslept. I roll over to face Rose, but she isn't there. I sit up in bed and look around the room. I notice the door to the balcony is open.

            I pull the covers off of me and get up out of bed. I walk towards the balcony doors and see Rose leaning against the railing looking out at the garden. I walk up behind her and rest my hand on her shoulder gently. She jumps a mile when I do but I pretend not to notice.

            "Did you sleep well?" I ask. She looks over her shoulder at me.

            "Fine." She says, glancing at my face then looking back out at the garden. Even though she clearly isn't happy with me, she is adorable, and I can't help but want to give her the world. I move so I'm standing next to her, my arm now wrapped around her shoulders and I lookout at the garden as well.

            "I want to take you out to dinner tonight. Somewhere nice." I inform her. Out of the corner of my eye I can see her look at me.

            "You mean like, out in public?" She asks. I look back at her.

            "Yeah, out in public. Is that something you would be interested in?" She looks shocked. I can practically see the gears turning in her head as she is almost definitely planning on trying to escape. A big smile fills her face and she nods.

            "I would love that." She says softly. Her smile makes it worth the risk.

            "Be ready by five then. I can't join you for breakfast because I have some work I need to take care of, but feel free to go to the kitchen and ask the cooks to prepare whatever you would like."

            She nods at me and I gently rub her back before turning, pulling on a shirt, and leaving the room. I walk to my office. I sit down at my desk and open my laptop. While it is turning on I pull out my phone and call Elliot. He answers on the second ring.

            "Hello, Sir?" He answers

            "Elliot, bring me a blueberry muffin to my office and have a guard go replace Peter in front of Chase's room."

            "Yes, sir." He replies. "Anything else?"

            "I want you to watch over Rose for the day. Help her if she needs anything."

            "Of course. I will be right up with your muffin."

            I hang up the phone and put it down. I open up my email and start looking through the hundreds of new ones, skimming through for the important ones. I have stuff I have to get done today, calls to make. I just, can't focus on work. Not when Chase is locked up in my basement, just waiting to be punished. Not when all that is on my mind is tormenting him, making him beg for mercy, then denying him of it.

            I force myself to sit there for two hours, answering calls, answering emails and forcing myself to pick on the muffin Elliot brought for me. I have been arranging gun and drug shipments all morning and dealing with some allied gangs. I have also had to look into threats some of my men have heard about from rival gangs and mafias. I have done enough work. I can't force myself to do anymore, not with my mind thinking of the endless possibilities of ways to punish Chase.

            I close my laptop and get up from my desk, sliding my phone into my pocket. I glance over my office, making sure everything is in order before stepping out of the room and closing the door behind me. I make my way down to the main floor and head to the basement.