11

"Hold on, wait just a minute!" I call as I follow her through a cave.

"This way."

"Come back here!" I yell.

"Come."

"You can't just say something like that and run off!" I add, avoiding a bunch of rocks. "You're my mother?! I mean, what the-- Do-- Do you grasp how insane that sounds?!" I ask.

"Come quickly."

"I -- I have questions!" I yell as she jumps up a ledge leaving me to get stuck. Toothless pushes me up with his nose. "Where have you been all this time?! What have you been doing?" I pause for a moment. "But they said you were dead! Everyone thinks you were eaten by--" I look up then stop. A bunch of dragons flew around. It was amazing. It was like Dragon's Sanctuary. " -- Dragons... "

Toothless growls making me look over. She and the Stormcutter hung high."This is where you've been for fourteen years?" I ask. She smiled then nodded. "You've been rescuing them?" She smiled again with another small nod. "Unbelievable..." I add, unable to find the words for this.

She looked down, her light eyes focused on me contently. "You're not upset?" She asked.

"What? No, well it's a bit much to get my head around, to be Frank." I start. "I mean! It's not every day you find out your mother is some kind of crazy, feral, vigilantly dragon lady."

The Stormcutter helps her down with his wing and her staff. She slides off his wing gently, as she spoke softly.  "Oh, well... At least I'm not boring, right?" She asked.

One of her dragons approached me, lightly headbutting me. "Well, I suppose there is that one specific thing," I say.

She stopped beside me, glancing around the cave. "Do you... Do you like it?" She asked about the Dragon Sanctuary.

I look around. "I-I... I don't have the words?" I look over to see Toothless surrounded by curious dragons, frustrated he scares them off.

My mother looks to me curiously. "Can-Can I?" She asked. I nod slowly. She went to him, going to her knees. "Oh, he's beautiful... Oh, I've never seen a Night Fury this close before." She started. "Oh incredible, and he may very well be the last of his kind."

He rolled over onto his back. "And look, he's your age! Ha, no wonder you get along so well," - he retracts his teeth- "and retraceable teeth! How did you manage?" She asked.

"I found him in the woods, he was shot down and wounded," I tell her.

 "Oh," she sounded upset, as she stood up slowly. She looked to me then goes to a dragon. "This Snafflefang lost his leg to an iron trap." She walked to another one. "This rain cutter has her wing sliced but razor netting." Another one. "And this poor Hobblegrunt was blinded by a tree snare and then left to die alone and scared." She then looked to Toothless' prosthetic tail-fin. "And what of this? Did a trapper so this too?"

Oh boy! This will be fun! I laugh awkwardly. "Oh...Well, the crazy thing is; I'm actually the one who shot him down." I say. "Hey, it's... It's okay though, he me back, right bud? You couldn't save all of me, could you? You just had to make it even!" I joke with him

She only laughed as I made a joke about the fact that I'm missing a leg, just as well as my dragon is missing his tail-fin. "What did your father think of your Night Fury friend?" She asked.

The mention of him, caught me. She doesn't know. "Ah, he didn't take it all that well." I start. "But then, he changed. They all did, pretty soon everyone back home had dragons of their own." I add.

She looked at me. "If only it were possible." She sighed.

"No, really."

"Believe me, I've tried as well but people are not capable of change, Hiccup. Some of us were just born different. Berk was a land of kill or be killed, but I thought peace was possible. It was a very unpopular opinion." She paused. "Then, one night a dragon broke into our house, finding you in the cradle. I rushed to protect you but what I saw was proof of everything I believed. "This wasn't a vicious beast but an intelligent, gentle creature whose soul should reflect my own." She looks at me with a sad look. "You and your father nearly died that night, all because I couldn't kill a dragon." She said.

"Runs in family," I tell her.

"It broke my heart to stay away, but I believed he'd be safer if I did." She said. "But," she started. "You're father must be so proud of you." She said.

I only nod slowly. "I'm sure he is," I tell her. She gives me a look. Confusion glows in her light blue eyes. "He's gone," I say to her.

"Gone?"

"Yeah. H-he crossed the ocean to find a cure and never returned... He died from a rouge Dragon Attack,"

"Hiccup, I'm so sorry." I refuse to look at her. But she came to me slowly.

I give her a look. "How did you survive?" I ask.

We start to walk. "Oh, Cloudjumper never meant to hurt me..." We walk to a ledge. "He must've believed I belonged here, in the home of the Great Bewilderbeast!" In a pit of water, sat a giant white dragon. "The alpha species, one of the very few that still exist. Every nest has it's queen but this is the king of all dragons. With his icy breath, this graceful giant built our nest. A safe haven for dragons everywhere." She said. "He protects us, we all live under his care and his command... " She said. The baby dragons fly past Toothless, and us, flying to the Alpha. "All for the babies of course who listen to no one."

She laughed. The Alpha dragon then came to us. "I've lived amount them for fourteen years Hiccup, learning their ways, discovering their secrets." My mother bowed to him, as did Toothless. The Bewilderbeast blows ice gently onto me covering my hair. "Ha-ha, he likes you." She smiled.

The ice made me cough, following with a sneeze. "Wow." I sigh shaking the snow and ice out of my hair.

I then look at her. "I know what you're going to say Hiccup." She started.

"I-I...."

"Yes." She cut me off. "I'll come home."