13

Astrid's P.O.V.

Hiccup followed me to the Academy silently with Toothless. I had to draw his attention away from the new exciting thing in his life right now. Of course, Hiccup is in absolute shock that the Outcast managed to catch Berk undefended. Actually, he's quite disappointed that we couldn't defend our island. 

I tried to make Hiccup think that we were caught off guard! He didn't buy it. Of course, I tried to tell him, we didn't have a proper defence formation with the dragons, because, with him and Toothless gone, we were missing a dragon. Again, Hiccup didn't buy that one either.

Hiccup hasn't said one word to me. As I land in the Acadamy, I jump off Stormfly seeing Hiccup land Toothless near me before sliding off the Night Fury.

The Dragon Riders were all huddled in the middle of the Acadamy, near Hiccup's stone board. None of them heard the dragons, I assume. "Guess who's back?" Astrid called to the gang who were with their dragons.

They all looked up, looking at me. "Let me guess..." Tuffnut started. "Is it, Gobber? No! No, wait! It'a Spitelout!"

What? Why the hell would he guess Spitelout? "No. It's Hiccup, you moron." Ruff said to him.

"Oh..." He sighed. "Wait... Hiccup left."

He's actually asking if Hiccup left? Our Village has been without their acting Chief for more than a Day. I assume Hiccup left, late last night. How could no one not notice Hiccup wasn't here? He makes himself known no matter where he goes, even if he doesn't want to.

Hiccup narrowed his eyes, looking at Tuffnut, not really sure of his answers "Thanks, Tuff." He shook his head before looking around the empty academy. "Woah! What happened in here?"

The riders were silent for a moment before looking at Hiccup. "Alvin took everything!" Snotlout started. "Weapons, everything."

Hiccup's gaze spiked with worry as Snotlout spoke. He seemed to scan the area before stopping. "We still have the dragons though?" I ask. "Where's the Book of Dragons?"

"HIccup, relax!" Fishlegs answered the boy. "The Book of Dragons still remains in the same place you hid it! They didn't even think to look there!"

This seemed to settle Hiccup a little. "And the dragons?"

"All the dragons are safe, Hiccup!" I nodded slowly. "But here's what I wanted to show you," I say to him, carefully pulling the weakening boy over to the pens. There, lying in one of the pens was an injured Dragon. A Deadly Nadder.

Hiccup seemed to study her for a moment before kneeling down to face her, carefully placing a hand on her beak. She made eye contact with him, but her gaze held no anger, and he returned with a calm, nonhostile approach. "Where'd you guys find her?" Hiccup asked calmly before sitting on the rocks underneath him, sitting on his left leg. 

Tuffnut jumped up. "On the beach," He told him.

Hiccup turned around, narrowing his eyes, raising his brow confused. "What beach?" He asked. "Berk doesn't have beaches!" But before Tuffnut could answer, Hiccup raised his other hand to silence him. "Nevermind, I don't want to hear it."

I took a step towards him, being careful not to startle him or the weak Nadder. "We found her after the raid, Hiccup!" I explained to him calmly.

Hiccup only nodded his understanding. "How long has she been like this?" He asked.

"A while now, Hiccup!" I say to him. "But we don't know where she came from either," Astrid told me.

Hiccup only sighed closing his eyes. "The Outcasts," he replied to me, so certain. 

"How can you tell?" Fishlegs asked.

Hiccup carefully lifted the chains around the poor Nadder's head. "The ropes around her head, attached to the saddle have the outcast crest on it," he said. "Without a doubt, this dragon was captured, caged and forced to fight their battles," 

I look down, as Hiccup tried to stand up. Holding my hand out, he accepts it, letting me pull him off the ground. He dusted his Fur Vest down before scanning the Riders.  "However, the dragon is the least of our problems. We need to get our people back!"

They all looked at each other, and I knew at least two of them were doubtful."How?" Snot asked his cousin. "The Outcasts are going to expect us coming."

Hiccup only nodded. "They'll expect us coming on Dragons. In the sky."

I turned to him, confused."So. We don't take the dragons?" She asked.

"No. We'll take the Dragons... But we use the clouds as our vantage point!" Hiccup answered, gesturing to the thick blanket of cloud. "Then we use the fog! We use that to get to the water! It's not the greatest plan in the word, but it's the best I've got right now!"

I have faith in him, even if he seems doubtful. "You're sure this is going to work?"

"If we put our minds to it, and do the best we can," Hiccup shrugged his shoulders. "It could work... It might just work... However, we're not ready."