Chapter Seventeen

Macy had talked me into dressing up for dinner with Kody.

Bullied me into it, is more like it.

I wore a white wrap around dress. It was a nice cotton material and it looked good on me. Since my hair wouldn't curl, I straightened it, wearing it straight back. Macy had done my makeup, making my eyelashes look twice as long as they were and covering up the dark circles under my eyes.

Even though the restaurant was within walking distance, Macy insisted on dropping me off. On the way there she scolded me for getting her boyfriend drunk in the middle of the day.

When I reached the restaurant, the host led me to a back table where Kody was already sitting.

He looked fucking good.

Lately I had only been seeing him in comfort clothes and though he managed to pull them off, when he made an effort the result was...

Wow.

He wore a beige long sleeved shirt. It was ironed perfectly and tucked into a pair of striped grey trousers. His almost white hair was still delicately messy, covering most of his forehead, but carefully styled so it didn't cover his eyes.

And his eyes were on me.

I felt my face flush as he studied me, his gaze noticeably trailing down my figure before returning to my face.

I nervously ran a hand over my hair, making sure every strand was in place.

By the time I made it to the table, I was beyond nervous. I wished I could have a drink.

Damn past Ezra for depending on alcohol to get out of awkward situations.

"You look good, Lewis." Kody said pulling a chair out for me.

I smiled nicely, taking the seat. "Ditto." I said in a voice that was just a bit too high.

He sat across from me. He was drinking clear liquid from a glass. Either it was water or straight vodka.

I assumed water.

A waiter hustled over, taking my drink order and bringing us a basket of breadsticks. He then took our orders.

I ordered meatloaf and mashed potatoes while Kody got a steak with a baked potato and Mac and cheese.

When the waiter left, I grabbed one of the breadsticks, nibbling on it.

"So, I wanted to talk to you about thanksgiving." He said, his eyes trained on my lips.

I cleared my throat. "Okay, what about it?"

This wasn't how I expected him to start this conversation off.

"If you don't have any plans, I think you should spend thanksgiving with me and my family."

I froze, lowering my delicious breadstick. My heart rate spiked as I began to panic all over.

I obviously didn't do a great job of hiding my emotions because Kody noticed. He frowned. "I told you my dad would want to meet you."

He had said that. "I was thinking something like this. A nice casual dinner, in public. Where he can't strangle me."

He laughed. "He's not going to strangle you. Just think about it, no pressure."

I nodded, letting his request go in one ear and out the other. There was no way I was going to do that. However, I took that as my opening to question him. "You never told me about your family." I said, picking my breadstick back up and nibbling away.