ONE

Maddie Buckley has just arrived at the 9-1-1 dispatch centre in Los Angeles. She walks to her desk with a mug of coffee in her hand, sits down and places her headset on. Before she can take a sip of her coffee, a call comes in.

'9-1-1. What's your emergency?' Maddie answers with the standard greeting.

'You've got to send help! My friend, I- I don't think she's breathing!' A distressed voice tells Maddie.

'Okay, firstly, I need you to calm down and tell me exactly what happened.' Maddie tells the caller.

'We're at a party. We were just talking and she collapsed.' The caller replies having calmed down.

'Did she take any drugs?' Maddie asks.

'I don't know.'

'Okay.' Maddie nods. 'What's the address?' The caller tells Maddie the address of the emergency. 'I'm arranging help for you now.' Maddie says. 'I need you to stay on the line with me until help-' The caller hangs up. Maddie sighs and ends the call on her end.

Meanwhile, 118 are pulling up in front of the house party. Captain Robert "Bobby" Nash, Edmundo "Eddie" Diaz, Evan "Buck" Buckley, Howard "Chimney" Han and Henrietta "Hen" Wilson all get out of their vehicles. Also pulling is Sergeant Athena Grant. As Eddie and Buck get the medical bags and Hen and Chimney get the gurney and backboard, Athena walks up to Bobby.

'Hey.' Athena smiles.

'Hey.' Bobby smiles back.

'According to dispatch, this is most likely a party with underage drinkers and drugs.' Athena states.

'We figured.' Bobby nods. Buck, Eddie, Hen and Chimney have re-joined him. 'Let's go.' They all walk into the house and look around. A young girl runs up to them.

'She's in the upstairs bathroom.' The young girl tells them. They all follow her up the stairs and to the bathroom where there is another young girl on the floor. Buck and Eddie kneel down either side of the young girl.

'What's her name?' Buck queries.

'Zara.' The young girl tells them.

'Does anyone know if she's taken any drugs?' Eddie looks around. Everyone shakes their heads. As he's looking around, he spots a teenage girl wearing a long sleeved jumper dress and knee high back boots, who quickly walks away as soon as she sees him look at her.. 'Chim, can you take over for a sec?'

'Sure.' Chim nods, confused. Eddie stands up and Chimney takes his place.

'Diaz? Everything okay?' Bobby queries.

'Yeah.' Eddie nods. 'I know a way we can find out if she's taken anything.'

'Go.' Bobby nods. Eddie quickly pushes past the crowd and runs after the young girl.

'Essie!' He shouts. The girl, Estelle, ignores him and keeps walking. 'Essie! Stop!' Again, she ignores him. 'Estelle Josephine Diaz!' Eddie shouts. Hearing her full name makes Estelle stop. Essie turns around and Eddie runs up to her. 'What are you doing here?' He asks his daughter.

'A friend invited me.' Estelle replies.

'You're supposed to be looking after Christopher.' He raises an eyebrow.

'No. Abuela is looking after Christopher.' Estelle corrects him.

'I told you that you've got to start helping her a bit more.' Eddie sighs. 'We'll talk more about this later. That girl we were called to, do you know if she's taken anything.' Before Estelle can reply, Bobby joins them.