EIGHT

It's bright and early the next morning. Essie gets out of bed, slips her black cardigan and white slipper boots on. She walks out of her room and walks to Eddie's room. She knocks on the door.

'Dad, I'm going to make breakfast. Do you want anything?' She asks as she walks in. Once she's finished, two heads pop out from under the covers. 'What the fuck?!' Essie sees Eddie and Shannon, her mom. 'Are you fucking kidding me?!' 

'Essie-' Eddie starts to say but Essie scoffs and walks out of the room. 'I told you this as a bad idea.' Eddie tells Shannon as he gets out of bed and puts his sweatpants and t-shit on. Shannon also gets out of bed and slips her own clothes back on.

'Well, our daughter has never been an early riser.' Shannon reminds him. 

'You need to leave.' Eddie tells her.

'Let me at least speak to her.' Shannon says.

'I don't think that's such a good idea.' Eddie replies. He walks to the door. 'Leave.' He says once more before walking out. When he walks into the kitchen, he sees that Essie has gotten changed and is putting her leather jacket on. 'Where do you think you're going?' He asks his daughter.

'Out.' Essie states. 

'You are not going anywhere.' Eddie says sternly. Essie just laughs and walks towards the door. 'Estelle Josephine Diaz. Get back here right now!' Eddie orders.

'Go to fucking hell.' Essie shouts as she walks out of the front door, slamming it behind her. 

'Dad.' Eddie hears Christopher say. He turns around to see Christopher walking towards him. 

'What's up buddy?' Eddie asks. Christopher stops a couple of feet in front of Eddie.

'Why is Essie mad?' Christopher questions.

'It's nothing, bud.' Eddie shakes his head. 'What do you want for breakfast?'

.

Forty-five minutes later, Essie is sat on her usual bench on the waterfront. She looks at her phone and sees that she has multiple missed calls and texts from Eddie and Shannon. She turns her phone off and puts in her pocket. She sits back and watches as the waves peacefully roll over each other and land on the golden sand. She closes her eyes and takes in the sounds and smells of the waterfront. She stays like that for a couple of minutes before open her eyes and standing up. She straightens her clothes and starts walking in the direction of Buck's apartment. When she reaches Buck's apartment, she bangs on the door continuously until he answers the door. 

'Essie? What are you doing here?' Buck asks confused.

'I needed to be somewhere and speak to someone that isn't home and not my dad.' Essie says as she walks in. Buck closes the door and follows her. When they reach the kitchen, she stops and turns to face Buck.

'What's going on?' Buck asks the young girl.

'I walked in on my mom and dad having sex.' Essie replies.

'Woah, okay.' Buck says slowly. 'I thought your mom and dad weren't on the best of terms.' 

'I thought so too.' Essie nods. 'Why? Why did he run back into her arms when she left us and didn't come back?!'

'You don't know that that's what happened.' Buck states. 'It could have been a mistake. They probably weren't thinking.' 

'I highly doubt that.' Essie laughs as she scoffs.

'They're still married, Essie. Married couples have sex.' Buck reminds her. 'Does Eddie know that you're here?' 

'What do you think?' Essie raises an eyebrow. Buck gets his phone out of his pocket. 'Don't call him.'