ELEVEN

Once they are out of the house, Athena takes Essie over to the ambulance. 

'She has a cut to her neck, it's quite deep.' Athena hands over to the paramedics. 'I can't see any other injuries.' The paramedics help Essie into the ambulance and onto the gurney.

'Essie, I'm just going to take a look at the wound on your neck.' One of the paramedics says. She moves the gauze out of the way and takes a closer look. 'I'm just going to clean it.' She takes an antiseptic wipe and opens it before wiping the blood away from around the wound. She takes another close look at the wound. 'That will definitely need stitches.' She nods. She covers the wound up with fresh gauze and tapes it into place. 

'Your mom and dad will meet us at the hospital.' Athena tells Essie. 'We won't let you see them until you're cleaned up and into some fresh clothes which we have for you.' 

'My mom's still here?' Essie asks quietly

'Of course.' Athena nods. 'Let's get you to the hospital.' 

.

An hour and a half later, Essie has had the cut on her neck sutured and dressed and has been examined for any other injuries. Since she doesn't, she cleans the blood off herself and gets changed into an oversized sweater, black leggings and some black pumps that Athena had bought for her. She is stood in the middle of the hospital treatment room when Athena walks in.

'Essie?' She says. Essie looks at her. 'Are you ready?' She notices that Essie looks scared. 'Essie, it's going to be okay.' 

'What if they're mad at me?' Essie asks.

'They're not going to be mad at you.' Athena assures her. 

'But this is my fault.' Essie states. 

'What makes you think that?' Athena asks. 

'If I hadn't started partying, doing drugs, drinking - none of this would have happened.' Essie says. 

'Essie,' Athena sighs. 'Do not blame yourself. None of this was your fault. Okay?' Essie nods. 'Come on.' Athena leads her out of the room and to the family room. They stop at the door. 'Ready?' 

'Yeah.' Essie sighs and nods. Athena opens the door and they both walk into the family room. Eddie and Shannon, who were sat on the chairs, immediately stand up and walk over them. 

'Essie.' Eddie whispers. He goes to hug her but hesitates, not knowing if she'd be comfortable with physical contact. Noticing this, Essie step forward, wraps her arms him and breaks down crying. Eddie wraps his arms around her. 'It's okay, you're safe.' He puts his chin on her head.  'It's going to be okay.' They part and Shannon steps forward.

'Mom.' Essie's voices breaks. 'I'm sorry, I'm sorry for being mad at you. For being angry.' 

'Hey, it's okay.' Shannon puts her hands on her daughter's shoulders. 'You have every right to be mad at me and if you never want to forgive me-' Essie interrupts her by hugging her. 

'I forgive you, mom.' Essie whispers. Shannon smiles at Eddie over Essie's head.

'Where's Christopher?' Essie asks as they part. 

'He's at home with Carla.' Eddie tells her. 'We didn't want to bring him in case-'

'I was in bad shape.' Essie finishes.

'Yeah.' Both Eddie and Shannon nods. 

'What about everyone else?' Essie asks. 

'At abuela's.' Eddie says. 'We didn't think you'd want to be around a lot of people right now.'