NINE

After five minutes, he notices that Essie looks distant and her eyes are filling with tears so he pulls over.

'Essie, what's wrong?' Buck asks her as tears start rolling down her cheeks. 'Es, you can talk to me. What's wrong?'

'You promise you won't tell my dad?' Essie looks at him.

'Es-' Buck starts to say.

'Please, I don't want him to know.' Essie pleads.

'Okay.' Buck simply nods.

'I was raped.' Essie reveals. 'By someone at the facility.'

'Who?' Buck asks. Essie just shakes her head as she wipes the tears from her eyes. 'Essie, if you tell me who it is, we can report it, we can-' 

'What's the point? He could just turn around and say I was hallucinating from coming off of the drugs.' Essie scoffs. 'Who would believe me?' Buck stays silent for a couple of minutes. 

'Why don't we go and speak to Athena?' Buck suggests. 'She'll be able to help.'

'And then she'll turn around and tell my dad.' Essie raises an eyebrow. 'My dad can't know.' Essie shakes her head. 'It will break him. I just know it; I don't want Chris to see that. I've seen dad during his worst breakdowns, Chris hasn't. He doesn't need to see that.' 

'If it happens again-' 

'It won't happen again.' Essie assures him, even though deep inside she knows it will. 'It was only once.' Essie lies. 'All evidence would be gone now.' Buck goes to say something. 'Can we just leave it? I don't want to talk about it anymore.'  Essie looks out the window and Buck starts to drive.

.

A couple of hours later, Buck and Essie are sat in Buck's front room watching a movie when there's a knock at the door. Buck stands up and goes to answer it. He returns a couple of minutes later with Athena who is in her uniform. Essie looks at them and starts to get angry.

'I told you I didn't want anyone else to know!' Essie tells Buck trying to stay calm. 

'We're just worried about you.' Buck states. 'I told Athena because she asked me to keep an eye out for this Lukas dude at the facility. Apparently, he's been following you, acting a bit rough with you.' He adds as he sits back down with her. Athena also sits down.

'You know about Lukas?' Essie asks Athena. 

'I looked into him.' Athena nods. 'May was a bit worried when you spoke to him at the movie theatre, so I told her that I'd look into it. Which I did. I was finally able to get CCTV yesterday, after securing a warrant. I went through it. Lukas took you into rooms multiple times throughout the days you were there. You didn't come out until half an hour, sometimes an hour or more, later. I had my suspicions but I didn't want to say anything. It's best to wait until victims come to us and report it.' She continues. 'When I saw the way he was acting with you last week, it confirmed those suspicions.' Essie looks down. 'I asked Buck to make sure Lukas didn't do anything as you were leaving.'

'Why didn't you say something?' Essie asks Buck. 'If you knew? Why didn't you just say something?' 

'I didn't want to pressure you into telling me.' Buck replies. 'Did he do anything to you whilst you were there this week?' Essie stays silent. 'It's okay.'

'But it's not!' Essie shouts. 'I was raped! I wasn't even sober whilst I was there. He was giving me drugs the entire time. Telling me that if I didn't take them, he'd do far worse things to me. Whilst I was in bed writhing in pain from withdrawal everyday this week, he would find a way to violate me.' Her anger boils up. 'It is not okay!' 

'You were raped?' They hear Eddie say. Essie turns around and sees her dad stood just a couple of meters behind her with Christopher by his side. 'Essie-' Eddie says softly as he takes a step towards her.

'Not- not now.' Essie takes a few steps back. 'I need some air.' She quickly walks past Eddie and Christopher and out of the door. 

'How long have you two known?' Eddie asks his two friends.

'Only a couple of hours.' Buck replies. 'She told me in the car on the way back.'

'Is this to do with the guy you were looking into?' Eddie asks Athena.

'Yeah.' Athena nods. 'He was the one who did it. Some officers are over there now to arrest him. 

'Who was it?' Eddie asks.

'Eddie-' Buck starts to say.

'Who?' Eddie asks again.

'Lukas.' Athena informs him.

'The nurse?!' Eddie exclaims.

'Dad, what's going on?' Christopher asks.

'Nothing, bud.' Eddie tells him. 

'Why was Essie upset?' Christopher queries. 'And angry?'

'Essie was hurt.' Eddie replies. 

'Dad!' Essie shouts for help followed by muffled screams. 

'That's Essie.' Eddie's eyes widen. Eddie, Buck and Athena all run out just in time to see a hooded person forcing Essie into a car, getting into the care themself and the car speeding away. Athena grabs onto her radio.

'This is Sergeant Athena Grant. Child abduction in progress. The victim is a seventeen-year-old female. Roughly 5ft 3. 50 kilos. The offender is unidentifiable. Getaway car is a black SVU, partial plates, X48Y. I am not in pursuit. I repeat, I am not in pursuit.' 

~~~~~~

I wasn't going to do this part of the story so soon but I thought why the hell not.

Let me know what you think!

Much love