THREE

'Are you sure this is what you want to do?' Mason asks Eddie.

'I just want my daughter back.' Eddie replies. 'So, yes. I am positive that this is what I want to do.' Mason pushes over some papers and hands him the pen.

'Sign on the dotted lines.' Eddie signs the paper and hands them back to Mason.

'Thank you.' Mason nods.

'What kind of things will Essie need?' Eddie questions.

'Toiletries, clothing, couple pairs of shoes, towels, maybe some books?' Mason suggests. 'Pack what you think is necessary, we'll check the bag anyway and hand anything back that she can't have during her stay here.'

'Would I be able to bring my son with me?' Eddie queries. 'He'll have questions about Essie and why she's staying here.'

'Of course.' Mason nods. They both stand up.

'I should be back within the next two hours.' Eddie says as he shakes Mason's hand.

'We'll see you then.' Mason smiles. Eddie turns around and leaves.

~~

Arriving at his Abuela's house, Eddie sees Christopher sat on the steps. His Abuela, Isabel, is sat at the table on the porch. As soon as Eddie gets out of his car, Christopher stands up and starts walking to him. 

'Hey, buddy.' Eddie smiles. He crouches down and they hug. 'Have you been good for Abuela?' He asks when they part.

'Yeah.' Christopher nods. 

'Good boy.' He smiles. 'I'm going to go and speak to Abuela for a few minutes, okay?' Eddie stands up and walks over to Isabel. 'Hey.' He smiles at his grandmother. 

'Where's Estelle?' Isabel questions. 

'I sent her to rehab.' Eddie states. 

'Edmundo.' Isabel sighs. 

'I know, but it's the only way that she's going to realise the consequences of drugs and drinking.' Eddie says. 'I'm going to go home, pack her a bag and then take Christopher to the rehab centre so that he knows where she is. She'll be there for a month at most.' 

'How did she take it?' Isabel queries. 

'She didn't run off as soon as she got out of the car so that's a good thing.' Eddie replies. 'We better get going.' He turns around and they both walk to Christopher.

~

An hour and a half later, Eddie is pulling up in front of the rehab centre once more. He gets out, walks around to the side, opens the door and helps Christopher. 

'Where are we?' Christopher asks. 

'We're here to see Essie.' Eddie tells him. 'She'll be staying here instead of at home for a while.'

'Why?' Christopher asks as they walk up the walkway. 

'She just needs a little break.' Eddie says. 'I'll bring you to see her whenever you want, though.' They walk into the building, check-in at reception and are taken to one of the private family rooms. They sit on the sofa and wait. After fifteen minutes, Estelle walks in. She's wearing a grey sweatshirt, grey sweatpants, some black pumps and her hair is damp. 

'They made me take a shower.' Estelle says before Eddie can say anything. She pulls her sleeves over her hands and sits cross-legged on the sofa opposite them. She looks at Christopher. 'Were you good for Abuela?' She asks him. 

'Yeah.' Christopher nods. 'We made cupcakes.'

'Did you save me some?' Estelle smiles. Christopher shakes his head. 'Oh!' Estelle gasps. 'Where are they, then?' Christopher pats his stomach causing Eddie and Estelle to laugh. 'Come here.' She extends her arms. Christopher climbs off the sofa and walks over to Estelle. He sits next to her and they cuddle. 'Listen, I made some bad choices which have made me a tiny bit poorly so I have to stay here until I'm better.' 

'How long?' Christopher queries. 

'I don't know.' Estelle shakes his head. 'When I get better and I'm back at home, I'll take you to see a movie, okay?' Christopher nods. 'I love you, baby bro.' 

'Love you, big sis.' Christopher smiles at her. 

~~

I know it's not much, it's more of a filler chapter but it's better than nothing!

Let me know what you think!

Much love