chapter five.

chapter five—❝ i’m wanting to say,in all kinds of ways,how you make me feel inside ❞

chapter five

❝ i’m wanting to say,
in all kinds of ways,
how you make me feel inside ❞

[ ∞ · ♡ ]

A great start to their summer would have been something exciting, something peaceful. Waking up to the smell of breakfast when it was no longer seven in the morning, or feeling free to go hang out by the quarry, or going to the community pool. Any of those would have counted as a great start to the three months of summer vacation.

Except, in the Wheeler household, it began with loud booming voices throughout the suburban home.

It was still early in the morning, and the loud shouts were what had even woken Mike in the first place. Rather than heading out to check anything else, Mike decided he would rather stay cooped up in his bedroom the entire day, dreading the moment he would walk out and have to face somebody’s wrath. It seemed that things went just as Max had said it would, a little too soon for Mike’s taste, but it was happening.

His parents were already firing down remarks to one another, shouting and arguing over any little thing. It didn’t help that Ted had the day off of work and was only maneuvering between the dining and living rooms while Karen was going about her usual routine.

Maybe Mike would have been able to handle that alone as the only bothersome thing. He could have ignored it since it was just happening downstairs, anyway. It only made things easier and less heard.

But, no. Nancy happened to be throwing a fit in her bedroom as well.

Shortly after their parents loud arguments were erupting, she began shouting about how certain clothes were out of place, that somebody must have been in her room because something was misplaced, and she continued going on about how she needed her telephone to work.

It felt as though a tornado had hit their house and put everything in the complete opposite way it had been the day before. Everything was suddenly so different.

As he stayed listening to the radio playing music in his room, Holly had creaked open the door before peaking into Mike’s bedroom, fatigue quite evident in her eyes as she slowly pushed his door open, stepping in quietly, still dressed in her comfy pajamas.

“Can I come in?” she asked softly, still tired, her hand resting on the doorknob.

Mike nodded from where he sat cross legged atop his mattress, scooting aside to make room for his little sister. The tiny blonde shut the door behind her, making her way into the room slowly, her feet dragging behind her and eyes droopy.